Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    siddharthmallick Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Changing Previously filed tax forms
    Hello Everybody

Does anyone know if IRS forms that I had filed previously can be modified?

Here's my situation, I got married in November 2005. For that year I filed 1040 NR-EZ as a single. In 2006, I filed as a married filing jointly and used form 1040 EZ. I recently realized that I should have the same form in the previous year too. This would double my deductions and exemptions and save me a whole bunch.

Thanks

Siddharth Mallick
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Mr. Mallick:

Sure you can modify a filed tax return. The process is called amending, and can be done using Form 1040X.

It's a relatively simple process for a tax pro. If you need my help. Contact me via email.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Searching previously filed tax returns [ 5 Answers ]

How do I search previously filed tax returns on someone? Is that public information?

Never filed any tax forms [ 7 Answers ]

Hi :o I have never filed any of my taxes. I thought I didn't have to do it so I have not been doing it YET. WHAT SHOULD I DO? CAN I FILE ALL MY PREVIOUS TAXES ALL TOGETHER THIS YEAR? :confused: :confused: I've recently found out that it's horrible and could be sent to jail :eek: :eek: ...

Please help - amending tax returns - wrong forms (1040) filed [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to these forums - but seeing the responses, I am sure that I will get some much needed advice. My situtation is this: I was an Indian Student on F1 from July 2003 to April 2006. (My H1-B visa was approved to become effective from April 2006.) I...

Forms to be filed [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I entered the US in July 2001. I was ion F-1 since till dec 2004 and then on OPT. My employer filed H1B and it was approved in oct 2005.I got it stamped in INDIA in feb 2006. DO I use the 1040 NR or 1040NR-EZ or 1040? As this is my first year of H1B? PLease let me know Thanks in advance...

Forms to be filed-please help [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: I entered the US in July of 2001. Was on F-1 until graduation in dec 2004. After on OPT and was approved H-1B, got it stamped in INDIA in FEB 2006. What forms do I need to use. IS it the 1040NR-EZ since this is my first year on H1B. Please do let me know Thanks Vineet

View more questions Search