Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bwheeler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Money judgment/child support lien
    Hello.

I have been awarded a $58k money judgment as of 5/2006 for child support arrears in upstate NY. Currently, the NC is paying $78 a week which is being garnished out of his wages at that rate it will take him several years. He owns real estate property. I have a two part question here. Since the judge ordered the money judgment against the respondent, does this automatically put a lien on his property or do I have to file it separately? If I have to file a lien, is it called a child support lien?
    Thanks!
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Sep 15, 2007, 10:35 PM
    No, I do not believe it is automatic. And yes, it is called a Child Support Lien. As far as I know it can be done one of two ways. Contact an attorney and they can take care of it for you or go through the Child Support Enforcement agency. Here is a link to some child support, enforcement and liens information for your state and contact numbers: What you need to know about child support in New York State.
    Hope it helps.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Generally the lien would occur automatically as a result of the child support judgement. This is the same as with any judgement against an individual in that any and all real assets would be subject to lien in order to satisfy the judgement.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 16, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Didn't you have an attorney representing you in the support case? They should be helping you collect.

No its unlikley a lien was filed automatically unless the court was informed of the existence of the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Release of Child Support Lien [ 2 Answers ]

I received a release of lien in June 2005. However, it was never recorded in the county courthouse. State of Colorado has now levied my bank account. They say they have a valid lien, but refuse to explain the release that I have. Frankly, they are very indignant and will not attempt to explain...

Who Gets the Child Support Money [ 4 Answers ]

I currently have 2 daughters with my ex girl and pay child support. My oldest daughter (17 yrs) is not living with the mother but with the aunt (I have proof that she's living there) for over 4 months and not getting a dime from the child support money. She graduating from HS in June and is going...

Child Support Lien on bank account [ 22 Answers ]

We discovered this evening that our bank accounts were frozen by child support. We have had no notification of this from anyone. My husband has 3 children from his previous marriage About 2.5 years ago my husband lost his job due to serious illness when he got a new job the salary was...

Lien - back child support [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My daughters father has a fairly large sum in back child support and is most likely going to lose his house to foreclosure. He had some cement work done, claims he paid for it, but the guy who did the work is suing him and has put a lien on the house. Would it be in my best interest to also...

View more questions Search