Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Klaes Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 05:35 AM
    DVD RW Won't read any disks.
    Hey, I have now had this problem for a while and tried to find a solution all over the net... but just nothing, so I thought I'd finally try to ask somewhere.

I got 2 drives on my comp, a DVD R and a DVD RW, the first works as it should, no problem, but suddenly one day I just noticed that I couldn't read any disks on the other. I have tried to uninstall the driver, let it be redetected, this happened before restart even, I tried again with restarting, but still nothing. Also, its set at slave, because I changed it with the other one since there was no point in having an unreadable master drive :S

Drive is a "Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105" and it just basically won't read anything, and since it can't tell that a DVD or CD comes inside, I can't use it to write with either. It doesn't seem to spin around either by the way. Just pops in and then nothing. It responds to eject requests from right click drive and eject, but other than going in and out, it really is not very useful.

I hope anybody could have any new ideas for me :)
    Thanks!

Klaes
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 15, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Normally a CD/DVD drive will "spin up" on it's own when a disk is inserted. I would guess that the drive is broken. Drivers are not normally a problem that would cause this.

Is there any way to test this drive in another machine to confirm?

Sep 15, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Hmm, not really, I would have to unmount it and get it to another computer then, and I don't have any other stationairies around :S

Well, I thought it might just have to be faulty by now, it was just weird that it happened like that, suddenly not being able to use it, but anyway... Think I had it for almost 5 years now so I suppose that's all it could take :)

Well, and indeed, it really doesn't do anything when I insert things into it, its like you see the mouse with the little CD attached to it, and then just no noise from the drive and nothing else, so I think I might just take the drive apart and have a look at it, hehe... anyway :)

Thanks for the reply!
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 15, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Why not, nothing to lose:D

Replacements aren't so much anyway

Sep 15, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Exactly :P
    So could just be fun to have a look, see if I can put it back together and maybe see if its just the spinning mechanism that's stuck, hehe...
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Sep 15, 2007, 09:43 AM
    If it was working before and it suddenly stopped working and it is 5 years old, I must believe it ran out of its life. DVD drive is so cheap and much faster these days, you are better of replacing it rather than spending your valuable time trying to fix it.

Good luck.

Sep 15, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Yeah, well, but still fun just to have a look now I got to get a new one anyway, hehe... And yes, it really is getting a bit slow... I think its like 4x speed or something like that, but always interesting to see what's inside :)

Edit:
    Took it apart, put it back together, nothing... it's the CD or DVDs I put in it that just won't start spinning, I checked the thing that was supposed to spin them though, no problem in turning it around, but still nothing :) Finally I get a good excuse of getting something faster!
    dvdbuff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 06:14 AM
    My dvd decrypter is sending this error message "no reference position found" what should I do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DVD ROM and DVD RW drives won't read any discs. [ 18 Answers ]

I've tried a few discs in both drives and neither of the drives can read them. It's like there's nothing in the drives. :confused:. I think it might be a problem to do with some software I had installed 'Sonic software'. I have now removed this but the CD drives still have an exclamation mark next...

DVD/CD Drive won't read ANYTHING now [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: HELP?! I have a brand new HP Media Center PC with VISTA that I LOVE and have had no problems in the past 5 months Iv'e owned it. Iv'e been burning everything on it like music, data, dvds, etc. without any snags at all. Today when I insert ANY type of disk, the drive closes and the LED...

DVD R/W disks [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if I have to format a DVD R/W disk before I use it for data back up puposes? I bought some new DVD+R/W disks, and explorer won't recognize them when I insert them. When one of my programs (B's clip) recognized the new disk, it asked me if it could format it. I tried this,...

XP refuses to read my CD/DVD drives [ 4 Answers ]

Whenever I put in a CD into my DVD drive, it won't autoplay. I have 2 drives, DVD and CDRW, and both suffer from the same problem. The only way to get autoplay working is by leaving the CD in the drives and restarting the computer. The other way is to continually pop the cd drive in and out...

View more questions Search