Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DougNY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 04:40 AM
    Heat Pumps
    We are considering purchase of a condo with a heat pump in Connecticut (pretty cold winters). I know how they work but I don't know much about heat pump performance in this area. Any input would be appreciated.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Heat pumps will work in all area but the colder it gets the less heat they put out until the cost savings of electric is off set by wear and tare. You will probably have a back up electric heat elements in the air handler so when it gets real cold you will be on resistance heat.

Heat pumps can and do cost more to repair when that break but that is the way the cookie crumbles. I a condo there is probably no other option so enjoy your condo and have the heat pump serviced to make sure all is OK.
    John W Breen Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DougNY
    We are considering purchase of a condo with a heat pump in connecticut (pretty cold winters). I know how they work but I don't know much about heat pump performance in this area. Any input would be appreciated.
    Hello,
    Heat pumps are effective for cool winters and cool nights,. not so much for harsh winters.
    Its main purpose is second stage heat. They do save money when used at the correct time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pumps DX systems [ 2 Answers ]

My question is about the ground source heat pums with closed loop vertical DX heat exchangers.Depending on the required capacity we have different numbers of boreholes where we put the DX U-tube heat exchanger.My question is how can I calculate the heat that is stored in each of the boreholes-how...

Heat pumps [ 1 Answers ]

I have a co-op apartment in a high rise in NYC. It has old GE zoneline 3000 heat pumps. One of the two works fine, the other wotks OK but it is noisy. The fan is just loud. Should I bother to try to repair this or should I just replace them. If I replace them should I get heat pumps again or should...

Heat pumps [ 3 Answers ]

What does the emergency heat do on a heat pump?

View more questions Search