Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4Melanie Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2007, 10:24 PM
    Painting Knockdown textured walls
    Can anyone tell me things I need to consider when painting knockdown textured walls? The house we recently purchased has only this type of ceiling and wall finish.
    First of all can you do it - one article on line recommended against it. Do you use flat, eggshell, etc paint? Can you do faux finishes like ragging, sponges, dual rollers, color washing, etc. Any help is much appreciated.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 15, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Yea I think you can paint the walls but the ceiling if it's a popcorn ceiling, it depends on how it was blow up, if they used primer and mixed paint in with the texture your fine , if not what will happen is the paint you use will reactivate the texture and it will start to come down, you can kind of avoid this buy only rolling one way, don't paint like you would a wall.

As for the wall texture, its sheetrock mudd and you should be fine to paint or faux anyway you like

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Knock-down textured finish to ceilings and walls? [ 2 Answers ]

What is some of the methods to do a 'knock-down' textured finish to a ceiling or walls?

Painting interior walls [ 2 Answers ]

Does painting an interior wall with two coats of paint instead of only one change the color. For example, does it make the wall color darker, deeper, etc. If the wall color is brighter than you expected, will two coats of paint darken the color a little? Or are you just stuck picking another...

Painting walls black [ 2 Answers ]

I did not prime the wall before painting it black. I have put 3 coats on. The paint is thick and seems to go on uneven. How do I get a more even coat? Can I thin the paint?:cool:

Painting shower walls [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old, retro 70s shower wall (plastic with gold plating) that needs replacing, but I am on a tight budget. Can I seal and paint the existing shower wall until I am able to rip out and replace? Any advice on how to proceed?

Smoothing textured walls [ 8 Answers ]

Help! We have heavily textured walls which catch all the dust. I would like to smooth out the walls, do I use "sheetrock topping joint compound"? Or something else? Do I put this on in thin layers or in one thick layer? This is hard work for an old lady, any advice would be so gratefully received....

View more questions Search