Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashojasani Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2005, 09:52 AM
    Enzyme Trypsin - biology
    I am working on a course work on enzymes for my GCSE Biology.

I need to know more about the enzyme Trypsin - can you please provide details of this enzyme's characteristics, how does it work and what does it do and when does it reach optimum activity in relation to temperature and pH?
    Amb_Tovan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2005, 03:26 PM
    Trypsin is a proteinase, meaning it breaks proteins into components such as amino acids or dipeptides (smaller proteins). It works with two other enzymes that are present in the stomach. At low pH such as in the stomach where Hydrochloric acid is present (HCl (aq), pH approx = 2) Trypsin only contributes to minor digestive powers. It works at highest efficiency at pH of 8, in the small intestine. Pancreas produces an inactive form of Trypsin that is introduced into the small intestine.

Trypsin is only effective against proteins that have carboxyl groups (COOH), the carboxyl groups is recognized by Trypsin's active sites. Once Tryspin latches onto the protein, it cleaves off the peptide bond connecting two amino acids. Since Trypsin has such a picky taste for proteins with certain chemical restrictions (requirements for activation) it provides ordered and clean cleavage of their substrates.

(Hope that helped :))

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Component present in every part of a loop [ 26 Answers ]

What component is present in every part of a loop, such as one that involves proteins producing energetic molecules from sugars?

Trypsin [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know please if trypsin is : endopeptidase / lipase / polymerase /exopeptidase / nuclease ? Can you please tell me which one is the correct answer and to tell about all of them ? :o

Biology [ 9 Answers ]

According to my hypothesis, bacteria that lived millions of years ago communicated by their body language. In scientific terms, the main problem with my hypothesis is that?

View more questions Search