Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gordon Lemming Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 06:01 PM
    FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card?
    I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.)

I could easily transfer part of the balance to an unused card with the same interest rate. Obviously, doing so would not effect my total debt to credit-limit ratio; rather, it would be a kind of shell game. Logically it should not matter to credit bureaus if I carry a debt on one or two cards. In fact, logically, I would assume that moving debt around from one card to another would hurt my FICO score. However, financial issues aren't always "logical."

Bottom line:
    Is one's FICO score effected by one's _total_ debt to _total_ credit-limit ratio?
    Or is the FICO score effected by the debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ credit card?

Thanks for your help.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Feb 9, 2008, 01:28 PM
    It is OK if you put all the balances on the card with lower interest an keep the cards with no balance open, It will not change your debt/credit ratio or your score, really is showing to the rest of the credit card companys that you know how to manage your finances, they will probably offer you a better deal.
    In the other hand 50% is not the best for your score if you take the ratio down to 25 or 15% you will see an increase of at least 10 to 30 points on your credit score.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Old credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

I have an account that has not had any activity on it since 2/02. No payment was made on this account for about 6 months prior to that. I ran into financial difficulties because of medical reasons and had a loss of income. Recently another company has contacted me concerning this account because...

Credit Card Debt [ 5 Answers ]

I received a credit card with a limit of $300.00. I lost my job and made a few payment of $25.00 each month for about 3 months. I have not been able to catch up and every month they add $38.00 for late fee and $38.00 for over limit fee. How can I ever get caught up? The balance is now over...

My brother's credit debt harming my credit score! [ 2 Answers ]

Just some background information- my brother has many, many debts. (he is a lawyer that just never succeeded and has no real work ethic) So he uses my father's credit cards, pays the minimum amount every month, and he basically lives off my father's credit cards for all of his expenses. My brother...

Credit Card Debt [ 4 Answers ]

My Mother is 85 and in poor health. She has about $30,000.00 in credit card debt. Due to increased medical bills, perscriptions and her mobil home rent increase she is not able to pay these bills. She has no assets, and her only income is her SS monthly check. Several credit card companies have...

View more questions Search