Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidtart Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2005, 05:47 AM
    Testing Electric PTO Clutch
    Troy Bilt 22hp Briggs/46'Deck

Electric PTO clutch will not engage. Have changed out switch on the mower console... still no good.

Removed clutch, looks OK.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO TEST THIS CLUTCH??

Or should I look somewhere else... worked great one day,, the next week NOTHING!

Please help.

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2005, 08:04 AM
    Use an ohmmeter to check conductivity. No conductivity, the coil is open. You could also check to see if it is getting power. If so, and it doesn't work, it is bad.
    davidtart Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2005, 04:23 AM
    The clutch tested positive for conductivity. Problem was actually a wire to the safety switch to disengage clutch when changing from forward to reverse. The wire had disconnected from the terminal post. TOOK 10 seconds to reattach.

Thanks for putting me on the right track. :D
    sarge97 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman View Post
    Use an ohmmeter to check conductivity. No conductivity, the coil is open. You could also check to see if it is getting power. If so, and it doesn't work, it is bad.

How exactly would you do that? Should I unplug it from the harness and touch the testers to each lead to see if there is a good current through the clutch? Not real good at these electrical things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

Craftsman 20.5hp electric clutch overdrawing? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My Craftsman 20.5hp 50" deck tractor just got a battery a couple months ago and it seems to have trouble keeping it charged. I noticed that the Amp meter shows charging when the deck is disengaged but when the clutch is engaged it is discharging handily. Is an overdrawing clutch a known or...

Electric PTO clutch removal [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Cub Cadet 2155 tractor with 15 HP Tecumseh engine. I'm trying to Replace the electric PTO clutch on the front of the engine. I have removed the center bolt but I'm unable to pull the clutch off the shaft. What type of pully puller do I need to pull the clutch off? There...

Troy-bilt mower and electric PTO clutch [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing the lower drive belt on my 23hp Troy-bilt pedal drive garden tractor. The last step in removing the belt is to remove the hex bolt from the center of the electric PTO clutch. When I try to loosen the hex bolt part of the electric clutch and the engine pulley turns at the same time....

View more questions Search