Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hawkeyeone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Excessive barking and chasing his tail
    Hi, We adopted a 9 mo. Old German Shepherd pup from animal welfare 4 months. Ago. In the house he bites almost constantly or chases his tail and barks loudly. What can we do?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 09:54 AM
    How much exercise does he get every day?
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 10:03 AM
    I agree, he may just be understimulated... also, has he been treated for fleas/worms?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2007, 10:11 AM
    I would start with a vet check if you haven't discussed this with a vet. If he is eating very much else except a decent dog chow, he could have nutricianal inbalances leading to itching. A daily brushing could help that too as well as leaving less dog hair to sweep up.

As I think Emland is getting at, more expercise may be part of the answer. Just enriching his life with games of fetch or something could help. He is old enough you could take him to obedience lessons. Good leadership is very important. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to keep her chasing/keep her on her toes? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I have seen and heard advice all around about relationships. One which has kept me in question is "keep them on their toes (interested/chasing)." This would obviously come with being unpredictable. What I would like to know his how do people go about this, I would feel like I...

Breaking dog from chasing cats [ 13 Answers ]

I will be talking to the rescue group about this as well, but thought I would get some opinions from the good folks here as well. Trinkett (greyhound) and Rana (cat) seem to be settling in well in the house. Rana is still occasionally hissing, spitting, and swatting at Trink, but that's really...

Chasing copper piping [ 2 Answers ]

Can I sink copper pipes into brick walls, do they need protection.

Why is chasing tails bad? [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy loves to chase her tail and bite it. I've been reading training books and they all seem to say to distract her from that. Why is it bad for a dog to chase it's tail? I thought that is a natural thing dogs love to do.

Is it worth chasing [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there I was wandering if anyone could give me some advice here is the situation . I have been seeing a 23 year old lady for about 6 months I`m I'm 30 . I have not had many serious relationship two actually. Any how it was amazing we couldn't have been nicer to each other . Looked like the...

View more questions Search