Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    John Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2003, 06:29 AM
    Scan disk for Windows 98SE
    Hi, I'm trying to use the scan disk but it doesn't work. It says there isn't enough memory, or close down programs. I don't understand. My computer says there is about 70% of free space left, and I close down the programs before trying to use the scan disk. In fact before I never had any problems with the scan disk. What can be wrong?? Thanks for your help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 10, 2003, 05:42 AM
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and close everything except Explorer. Also make sure Screensavers and Ant-Virus are closed.

Alternatively, with Win 98SE, go to Start>ShutDown>Restart in MS-DOS mode. At the prompt type SCANDISK.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Mar 19, 2004, 01:21 AM
    Hi,

You have to run scandisk from Safe Mode.
    Sparda Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2004, 03:50 PM
    I have 1 crtasism to say about what cremedies said, he said you HAVE to run scandisk in safe mode, you don't, how ever it is advisabel. What ScottGem said was right you should close things like anti-virus programs and other non - nesasery and non - system processes. AND on top of this I think you have goten a bit confused, there is a diffrence between disk space and system memory, I think what you done is you'v looked at your disk and seen there is 70% disk space left on it. That is NOT how much memory your computer has left. To see that you have to right click on my computer>propertis and then on one of thows tabs it will say something like "SYSTEM RESORCES LEFT:" and then it'll give a percentage (sorry I don't remember exacly I haven't used win98 (I assume your using win98 ) in 2 years) also to get into safe mode dur in start up Before win98 starts to load you have to press F8 to bring up the boot menu and then pic safe mode, OK, hoped I helped :)
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Oct 16, 2004, 06:39 PM
    You're right... you DON"T have to run scandisk in safe mode; but if you DON'T, you're likely in for a very long day because 9 out of 10 times, your scandisk in Windows 98 will never complete while running in GUI mode. To save yourself a lot of time and frustration, I'd very strongly suggest that you run scandisk in safe mode.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Avoiding Registry Checker at Strartup Windows 98se [ 4 Answers ]

I recently tried out a trial version of Registry Mechanic.It found 80 mistakes,but being a trial version it only fixed 4 of them.I uninstalled the trial version.Now every time I restart Windows 98se the Microsoft registry checker starts up(blue screen}and says repairing c:\windows\system.dat.My...

Windows 98SE Installation Sequence [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Forum, After a fresh installation of Windows 98SE from the factory Disk, what is the order of driver installs? Is it... A. Motherboard Chipset Video Card Monitor B. Motherboard Chipset

Windows 98 and 120 gig hard disk? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm using Windows98se and want to get a 120 gig hard disk. Can anyone tell me what is the maximum size partition I can use with Windows 98se. I've heard that with large hard disks NTFS format is better/more effeicient. Is this so? And how much difference would it make. I'd rather not have to go to...

Loading windows 98se [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am tying to load windows 98se after I fdisk and format the PC. The cd loads and starts installing 98se but it gets to a certain point and the PC goes to a blue screen and stops installing. I thought it was the hard drive so I put a new one in and it did the same thing

View more questions Search