Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leftwinga Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Sep 13, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Frost in back of sise by side freezer.
    I just noticed that there is frost in the back of the freezer, in addition to what looks like frozen drops of water down the side odf the ice maker. The food boxes have frost built up ion them as well and I noticed the fudge bars are soft. Is it possible that the door was left ajar by one of the children? Would that cause frost build up?
    The unit is less than a yr old and of course the troubleshooting maual has nothing on this subject... only frost build upin refridge part not freezer...
    Thanks...
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 07:31 PM
    If door was left open this could cause a problem. Id the evaporator free of frost/ice? Is the evaporator fan running? When you check the fan with door open you will need to take finger on push in on the door switch

Sep 13, 2007, 07:44 PM
    You lost me dude.. I can't see the evap coil... I hear rthe fan running... Im probably overreacting and its just probably caused by the door being left ajar... but I still have to be sure... I only think this is the cause and not a defrost issue because the ice cream is soft
    krispar96 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 09:40 AM
    I am having the same problem. I open the door and push the button and hear the fan running. However, my refrigerator is 50 degrees. Things are not staying cool. I also have frost on the back of the freezer. This is a 5 yr. old appliance.

Sep 21, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Actually I fixed my problem... I figured someone left the door open or my mom packed the freezer up and I think may have blocked the return grill in the freezer and the evap coil froze up... I pulled the back panel of the freezer off and alas the coil was frozen, so I turned it of and poured hot water over the coil to melt the ice.. Once all the ice was gone, I put everything back together and turned the fridge back on and she's worked like a charm ever since

Is you fridge a side by side of traditional freezer and top?

Sep 21, 2007, 04:29 PM
    Mine is a side by side
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Kris- Start of by clening the condensing coil and fan motor very well. Lack of airflow will cause this problem. Next check and make sure the evaporator fan is running and next check to make sure the defroster is not stuck on

Sep 22, 2007, 06:29 PM
    O.k. I cleaned the coils and fan is running when you open the door and push the button in it stops. I defrosted it today and now it is running cold. However when I checked the cools inside the freezer behind the panel, they looked to be icing up again. How do you check to see if the defroster is stuck on?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag side by side fridge freezer-- occasional ice up, defroster buzzes [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, all -- - Our Maytag SIDE BY SIDE ( MSD2356AEB) occasionally builds up ice on the coil in the freezer. I turn the unit off, remove the rear panels, defrost with a hair dryer, then reassemble after the half hour or so it takes to "hairdry" it. I restart, and the unit works beautifully. ...

Maytag Side-by-Side Freezer ice buildup on floor of freezer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a five year old Maytag side-by-side #MSD2754GR. I have had this problem for the last four years and have cleaned out the clogged drain plug each year myself. Seems that the ice buildup is coming somewhere else since water is not dripping down the back. Yes, it is humid and we are using...

Whirlpool side by side with water leak in freezer door [ 1 Answers ]

I have a side by side with water and ice in the door. There is water seeping from the door into the bottom of the freezer side. About every week or so it is built up enough that it leaks out onto the floor. I remove the ice block that has formed in the bottom of the freezer and the cycle...

View more questions Search