Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sally Phillips Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Repairing PVC pipe
    We were putting up some shelving in a closet and inadvertently drilled a 1/4" hole through the drain pipe from the washer upstairs. Can we just plug this hole with epoxy of some kind or do we need to replace the pipe?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 04:51 PM
    The problem with using epoxy or similar materials is that it often leaves a ridge or bump inside the pipe, which can become a clog point if something catches on it when going down the drain -- However, if it's only a clothes washer drain, then the likelihood of something hanging up on it is very remote.

I'm kind of anal retentive about things (a loquacious way of saying I'll do whatever it takes to avoid being sued), so I'd likely cut it off square right at the puncture and then rejoin the pipe with a Mission, Fernco or Pro-Flex shielded coupling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Splicing pvc pipe [ 7 Answers ]

I need to connect a "T" to an 1.5" underground pvc pipe. To fit properly a 1" space must be cut in the pipe. The "T" is obviously larger than the opening, how can this be done?:mad: :confused:

How many cables in a PVC Pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I just ran my 100Amp #2Ga - 4 conductor wires (which all 4 conductors were in a jacketed cable) in a 2" PVC pipe, from my new Sub Panel to the main 200A house panel in the garage (only about 6 ft in the PVC pipe, the rest of the run is in the wall) My question is, I need to run another 12/2...

Copper to pvc pipe [ 7 Answers ]

We are trying to install a water system in our home and need to know how we go from copper pipe to pvc pipe.

Drilled into PVC Pipe [ 2 Answers ]

While drilling a hole to hang a towel rod in a first floor bathroom, I drilled into the PVC waste line that comes from the upstairs bathrooms. I cut away a section of the drywall and can see I hit almost dead center into a 2 or 3 inch PVC waste line. The hole is approx. 1/2" in diameter. Is there...

PVC to Copper Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom. The existing drain pipe is 1 1/2" copper tubing. What is the best way to connect a 1 1/2" PVC to 1 1/2" copper tubing?

View more questions Search