Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    David1979 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 02:23 PM
    Disabled and canceling my SSI
    Hello,

I am disabled and unable to work. In fact when I turned 18 I signed up for SSI. I am 28 now.

Today I got papers stating they were canceling my SSI because I did not come into a appointment that was made and choose a program.

The problem with this was I did not know of any appointments. No papers was sent to me nor any phone calls as well. I had no clue that I have to change anything and choose a program.

The only thing I had to choose a program for was my Medical Card recently.

They said they will be cutting my checks off next Month. October 2007.

This has me really worried as this is my only source of income that is coming in. How do I pay my bills? I don't know what to do...

Any advice or suggestions is very much appreciated as I am very worried right now on how I am going to pay my bills...
    nicegirl41 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 13, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by David1979
    Hello,

I am disabled and unable to work. In fact when I turned 18 I signed up for SSI. I am 28 now.

Today I got papers stating they was canceling my SSI because I did not come into a appointment that was made and choose a program.

The problem with this was I did not know of any appointments. No papers was sent to me nor any phone calls as well. I had no clue that I have to change anything and choose a program.

The only thing I had to choose a program for was my Medical Card recently.

They said they will be cutting my checks off next Month. October 2007.

This has me really worried as this is my only source of income that is coming in. How do I pay my bills? I don't know what to do....

Any advice or suggestions is very much appreciated as I am very worried right now on how I am going to pay my bills....
    I would call your worker and tell her that you did not receive any papers in the mail stating that you had an appointment. Ask her what kind of paper did she send out?
    I would ask her if it is at all possible if you could get another appointment. I would also get appointment with your doctor to see what he can do to help you in this situation.
    kayakinggirl Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Sep 13, 2007, 06:03 PM
    You need to file an appeal asap if you already haven't run out of time. And yes, when you are up for review, if you do not turn in your paperwork or make your appointments, ssa can cut you off, and boy they do it quick, too. Read the notice and find out how much appeal time you have left and file the appeal asap. The biggest problem that you've got is that if it's more than 10 days after the date on the notice, you could have filed to have your checks continue for 6 more months (presumptive disability) while you got your medical duck in a row. Contact SSA (local office not the 800 number) ASAP and file your appeal. DO IT TOMORROW. If it's been more than 60 days since the date on the notice, you may need to file a new application (which can take up to two years for a decision from start to finish) unless you can come up with a good reason (good cause for late filing) for filing after the 60 days allowed. If you have to file a new application, please remember to file your appeals, bucause with SSI, you can only receive money starting the date of the current application, and if you refile instead of appeal, you lose money every time. SSA works in 60 day increments for most things, so be aware of any dates.

Sep 14, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakinggirl
    You need to file an appeal asap if you already haven't run out of time. And yes, when you are up for review, if you do not turn in your paperwork or make your appointments, ssa can cut you off, and boy they do it quick, too. read the notice and find out how much appeal time you have left and file the appeal asap. The biggest problem that you've got is that if it's more than 10 days after the date on the notice, you could have filed to have your checks continue for 6 more months (presumptive disability) while you got your medical duck in a row. Contact SSA (local office not the 800 number) ASAP and file your appeal. DO IT TOMORROW. If it's been more than 60 days since the date on the notice, you may need to file a new application (which can take up to two years for a decision from start to finish) unless you can come up with a good reason (good cause for late filing) for filing after the 60 days allowed. If you have to file a new application, please remember to file your appeals, bucause with SSI, you can only receive money starting the date of the current application, and if you refile instead of appeal, you lose money every time. SSA works in 60 day increments for most things, so be aware of any dates.

I called in yesterday and again today...

The lady I spoke with regarding this told me that I would need to fill out a new application. So they are sending me papers.

Now the problem is that I asked if I would still get what is coming to me and well I was told that it would be a 30-60 day wait all over again like when I first signed up. I been on SSI for about 6-7 years now so why do I need to do this again? I been disabled since I was a kid and unable to work. Now with the 30-60 day wait my bills are going to be unpaid because of this mess. I was not given a notice or a phone call of having to do this any earlier so now I'm in a real bad predicament.

I don't understand why I have to refill things out all a sudden now? But worst is why didn't I get a notice?
    kayakinggirl Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Sep 14, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Did she tell you how many days you are late on the appeal?

Sep 14, 2007, 03:09 PM
    It said in the letter that I had 10 days to appeal... I called the 800 number later on this afternoon and mentioned that to them. They said they would be sending me off the paper work...

By the way thank you for the suggestions... I hope this helps because this worries me terribly because of my bills... and getting them paid

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ssi disability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in North Carolina and filed bankruptcy in 2001 and confident I will win my disability case, can IRS or anyone get any of my settlement or monthly check. Any help will be appreciated

Ssi fraud [ 4 Answers ]

My question is, my wife is the durable power of attorney for her mom. She is in a nursing is it legal for my wife to use her moms ssi money for her own personal gain, can she write checks to her self and then sigb her moms name

My son who is on SSI [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: My son is 17 He will be 18, this sept. He also gets SSI, for begin mildy mental retared. SS said that he will be coming up for review, rigth before his 18 B day, I guess this is were he has to apply, rigth, they haven't said anything other wise. (what I want to know is, what are...

Ssi and ssdi [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know if a privet person sue you when you are on ssi and ssdi thank you

Canceling vacation [ 2 Answers ]

I put a deposit down on a cottage with a real estate agent .I tried to cancel 6 weeks before my vacation but was told I would only get my deposit back unless myself or the real estate agent found another person to rent those 2 weeks .my lease does not have a cancellation clause in it .my fault for...

View more questions Search