Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fattimoo Posts: 82, Reputation: 4

Sep 13, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Melted candle wax
    Hiya can anyone help me I lit a candle and the melted wax has spilt on my carpet has anyone got any idea of getting it off the carpet its gone hard!:confused: :confused:
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:29 PM
    I've done this with a table cloth - don't know about carpet.

Turn your iron as low as you can. Put several layers of papertowel over the wax and iron over it. The paper towel will absorb the wax.

I would be extra careful with carpet since most are synthetic. It might melt.

Sep 13, 2007, 01:25 PM
    O yeah I never thought of that thank you for your help!
    John Da Posts: 195, Reputation: 3

Sep 19, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Everybody loves candles these days. Whether you use them for atmosphere, aromatherapy, or as a fragrant compliment to the holiday season, candles provide a note of welcome and comfort any occasion. Unfortunately, accidents sometimes happen with dripping wax. To prevent wax spills in the first place, you can purchase glass discs that fit over tapers. But if the spill has already occurred, here is a quick and easy method for removing wax from candles and fabrics without harming them.
    :) :)

You will need paper towels and an electric iron. I recommend a very absorbent paper towel for the best results. Use white towels only as dyes may bleed onto the carpet when exposed to the heat of the iron.

Before beginning the procedure, use a brush or your hands to pick away at any of the excess wax that you can get out of the carpet fiber. Be gentle and be careful not to unravel the pile when brushing.

1. Plug the iron in and turn it on to the lowest setting possible.

2. After the iron heats up, take a paper towel and place it over the wax. Gently apply the warm iron to the paper towel. The wax should begin to liquefy and the paper towel will absorb it. Do not set the temperature of the iron any higher than the warm setting, or you may harm synthetic fibers. For berber or some sculptured carpets, you may have to press down harder with the iron. Be especially careful with the berbers and do not pull on any fibers or loops. Pulling on those loops can cause a "run" much like the runs in panty hose and can ruin the rug, as the run will travel across the length of the carpet.

3. Continue working the iron and paper towel until all of the wax is absorbed. You may need to turn the paper towel several times as the area where the wax is being absorbed becomes saturated. If it is a large spill you may need more than one paper towel. The watch word here is patience, as working this process can take time.

This method should work effectively. In cases of very stubborn spills, you may come to a point in the procedure where you have absorbed all of the wax you can and find that there is still some residue in the carpet. Try to gently pick out as much of the remainder as you can. It may help to apply an ice cube to the stain and re-harden the melted wax. Caution is advised here too, as some dyes may fade when water is applied. Check with your manufacturer if in doubt.

If you have tried all the above steps and you still have some wax in your carpet you may wish to call a professional carpet cleaning company. Choose a reputable company as most carpet cleaning services that advertise in mailers or have "specials" do not train their personnel to handle such a job and they may make a bigger mess than the one you began with.

Happy cleaning!
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Sep 19, 2007, 05:17 PM
    I've always used a spoon edge. Rub the spoon edge on the wax and it goes away most of the time it destroys the spoon so try the iron idea first.

Sep 20, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Thanks for your help I've used the iron and its worked :D
    saiaktar Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 05:18 AM
    What is the procss when an ice cube chages to water?

May 28, 2008, 05:21 AM
    Get a scaper and put goo on it and scrape the of the floor

May 28, 2008, 05:23 AM
    Use a iron to iron the wax from the floor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crayon melted in dryer [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any possibility of getting crayon streaks and residue out of my dryer? A purple crayon was left in the pocket of my son's shorts and was dried. My fear is that not only the entire load of clothes is ruined but my dryer could be also. Any suggestions?? :confused: Thanks

Physic and Candle light [ 1 Answers ]

A 7·cm tall candle is placed 150·cm from a lens with a focal length of +50·cm. Note: all distances and heights should be strictly positive numbers... the type and orintation of each image is asked for separately. (a) How far from the lens will the image be? cm. (b) How tall will the image be? ...

Candle Wax in Carpet [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to get candle wax out of carpet? I have light tan carpet and dark brown candle wax spilled on the carpet at some point. I discovered it when moving furniture, so I'm not sure how long it has been there. :(

Candle wax [ 1 Answers ]

Removing candle wax from painted wood

Melted shower drain [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a Zurn shower drain that is made form abs and tried to attach this to a 2" schedule 40 pvc pipe, but when I did the pvc cement melted the hub of the drain. What was the correct way to attach these similar plastics together?

View more questions Search