Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 05:21 AM
    Or maybe some sort of ancient global warming:confused: :confused: :confused:
    mechanix Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2008, 09:49 PM

The most recent revelations are planetbX or some asteroids effect not speaking of pole reversals or earths crust slipping or planet earth growing like 10 times larger in mass or thar haven been enough time in eternitys existence for the dinasaurs to have evolved or
    There desolation of populace many times over
    Recent sceintists have suggested that not only dinasaurs are big but that thar were giant
    Humans ? To along with fowls and
    Little knowledge has been passed to elert
    Public awareness to the vastness of creation
    On earth let alone elsewhere
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 02:54 PM

Probably more than one thing. There was a major impact, in fact more than one.
    Yucatan Asteroid Didn't Kill Dinosaurs, Study Says

But the climate had been changing even before that and there's evidence that extinctions were beginning even before the asteroid sealed the deal. The asteroid was more like the final nail in the coffin, but NOT irrelevant.

This extinction was a massive one in which MANY species were dying off. So it's easy to imagine that different things--like infections--might have affected some species more while lack of food could have been the major problem for others. BIG CHANGES are what kill species and destroy ecosystems. Asteroid impacts are obviously destructive, but it isn't just getting hit by rocks that kills things. The after effects that altered global climate are what got the most species. Same for other causes of global climate change.

But change also leads to new species--over millions of years. The colder dryer climate led to the evolution of grasses and grass eating mammals such as cattle, deer, horses etc.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 01:57 PM

I agree it could have been more than one thing. Asteroids are the more common reason people accept.
    big-Broomie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2010, 03:39 PM

Not all dinosaurs are extinct. There are dinosaurs still alive today, though they are very rare. There are creatures recorded in an animal encyclopedia from the 1500s that the evolutionary religious fanatics would say are dinosaurs and have been extinct for millions of years. Dinosaurs were called dragons before the word dinosaur was coined. Even today there are large lizards that are well known the monitor lizards on Komodo island, are these not called dragons? In new south Wales in the 1950s cattle farmers had to move when they found their cattle were being killed. One saw a twenty-five foot bipedal lizard, sounds like a therapod. There is a painting of a group of Australian aboriginal hunters around a plesiosaur. The Australian aboriginal people also have named a creature the burrungor whose description matches an allosaurus. The description of Grendal in the Beowulf epic sounds like a tyrannosaur. People say Grendal was a troll, but the people who first recorded the epic had a word for troll which does not appear in the epic. Look onn the sight dinos_and_man1 and see the evidence presented there. There are also lots of web sites that have good information.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 23, 2010, 04:00 PM

Hello big-B. The only dinosaurs alive today are birds. The Kimodo dragon is a lizard. Dinosuars were NOT lizards - for one thing, lizards are cold-blooded, whereas dinosaurs are known to have been warm blooded. I can show you lots of pictures from ancient times of unicorns, fire-breathing dragons, and creatures that are half goat & half human - which means you believe that these creatures actually exist too, right?
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Mar 10, 2010, 05:30 PM

OK, anybody see this? BBC News - Dinosaur extinction link to crater confirmed
    Expert

Mar 11, 2010, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyYakker View Post

Thanks for posting this. The Deccan Traps versus Chicxulub debate had been ongoing for years, so it's good to see some progress towards a stronger general consensus. I have always been partial to the meteor theory over vulcanism, but I suspect that the vulcanists will continue to find and put forth evidence for their side.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2010, 01:25 PM

There's no arguing with a meteor that size. (Thanks FlyYakker)

But isn't it also true that a lot of groups of organisms were going extinct even before the meteor hit? (I'm forgetting and too busy to go research this.)
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Mar 24, 2010, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    There's no arguing with a meteor that size. (Thanks FlyYakker)

But isn't it also true that a lot of groups of organisms were going extinct even before the meteor hit? (I'm forgetting and too busy to go research this.)
    Possibly... I've seen such discussions myself. I'm unsure of the present school of thought. But - Whatever else may have been happening, the meteor is most likely the thing that supplied the coupe de grace from which there could have been no recovery. Given it's effects, I doubt any prior history would have made much difference either way.

May 13, 2010, 01:25 PM
    Hi ebaines,
    I had a real good laugh at your reply to me. You said, "The only dinosaurs alive today are birds" When I show my 2 year old daughter a picture of a dinosaur or a bird she never gets them mixed up whatsoever. If a 2 year old can tell the difference between birds and dinosaurs I'm sure anyone can. It is strange that people say birds evolved from dinosaurs, then put archeopteryx (which they say existed at the time of dinosaurs) as proof yet fail to mention that fully formed birds have been discovered that are claimed to be 70 million years older than archeopteryx.

Is there anyone in the world who believes in the THEORY (funny how it has called a theory and not a fact for about a century and a half) of evolution who can show everyone all the millions of intermediate fossil species that should be there if dinosaurs really evolved into birds, I think not. They will say what Darwin said in the 1800s, "There are missing links that will be found" A cop out if you ask me. Out of all the millions of 'missing links' out there I wonder why not one has been found. Did compsognathus become a sparrow, tyranosaurus a crow and brachiosaurus an ostrich?

I didn't say komodo dragons are dinosaurs. What I said was, "Dinosaurs were called dragons before the word dinosaur was coined. Even today there are large lizards that are well known the monitor lizards on Komodo island, are these not called dragons?" What I meant was that ancient people who say dinosaurs would call them dragons just the same as people who first saw the lizards on komodo island called them dragons.

You also said, "I can show you lots of pictures from ancient times of unicorns, fire-breathing dragons, and creatures that are half goat & half human- which means you believe that these creatures actually exist too, right?" To have lots of these pictures must mean that you believe they exist? Otherwise you wouldn't have them, right? As I have not mentioned any creatures like this I fail to see the relevance in you mentioning them, Are you serious about learning truth or are you arbitrarily posting these comments to antagonize?

If evolutionists are right then the coelacanth should have evolved legs as they say and became an amphibian. This didn't happen as there are coelacanths alive, well and unevolved today showing absolutely no inclination or desire to move onto land. What would make them right about the dinosaur-bird link?

May 13, 2010, 01:25 PM
    Hi ebaines,
    I had a real good laugh at your reply to me. You said, "The only dinosaurs alive today are birds" When I show my 2 year old daughter a picture of a dinosaur or a bird she never gets them mixed up whatsoever. If a 2 year old can tell the difference between birds and dinosaurs I'm sure anyone can. It is strange that people say birds evolved from dinosaurs, then put archeopteryx (which they say existed at the time of dinosaurs) as proof yet fail to mention that fully formed birds have been discovered that are claimed to be 70 million years older than archeopteryx.

Is there anyone in the world who believes in the THEORY (funny how it has called a theory and not a fact for about a century and a half) of evolution who can show everyone all the millions of intermediate fossil species that should be there if dinosaurs really evolved into birds, I think not. They will say what Darwin said in the 1800s, "There are missing links that will be found" A cop out if you ask me. Out of all the millions of 'missing links' out there I wonder why not one has been found. Did compsognathus become a sparrow, tyranosaurus a crow and brachiosaurus an ostrich?

I didn't say komodo dragons are dinosaurs. What I said was, "Dinosaurs were called dragons before the word dinosaur was coined. Even today there are large lizards that are well known the monitor lizards on Komodo island, are these not called dragons?" What I meant was that ancient people who say dinosaurs would call them dragons just the same as people who first saw the lizards on komodo island called them dragons.

You also said, "I can show you lots of pictures from ancient times of unicorns, fire-breathing dragons, and creatures that are half goat & half human- which means you believe that these creatures actually exist too, right?" To have lots of these pictures must mean that you believe they exist? Otherwise you wouldn't have them, right? As I have not mentioned any creatures like this I fail to see the relevance in you mentioning them, Are you serious about learning truth or are you arbitrarily posting these comments to antagonize?

If evolutionists are right then the coelacanth should have evolved legs as they say and became an amphibian. This didn't happen as there are coelacanths alive, well and unevolved today showing absolutely no inclination or desire to move onto land. What would make them right about the dinosaur-bird link?
    Expert

May 18, 2010, 01:05 PM

Big-B: The original question posed here two years ago was "what killed off the dinosaurs," and you responded with the incredible assertion that there are still dinosaurs around today. My response that birds are the only living dinosurs was a bit facetious - clearly birds are not dinosaurs, but they are the closest living relatives today. And unless someone comes up with credible natural evidence to the contrary, the theory that no dinosaurs have walked the earth in the past 65 milllion years - and certainly never at the same time as man - will continue to hold sway. By credible evidence I mean something like a dinosaur skeleton from the past 10,000 years, for example.

As for the theory of evolution - you are a bit off topic from what the OP originally asked. I suggest that you start a new thread to pose a question or two about evolution. I'm sure there are plenty of experts here who will be glad to answer whatever questions you may have about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why were dinosaurs and giant sloths so large? [ 9 Answers ]

:confused: This one has driven me mad for years and this recent discovery hasn't helped 'Scientists found evidence in Scotland of a water scorpion that was 5.2 feet long and about 3.2 feet wide. The monster lived about 350 million years ago.' My questions are simple - why were animals in...

80's kids movie with dinosaurs [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, so here's the most I can remember about it... 80's kids movie (not a series and doubt it was ever shown on tv) Had evil dinosaurs... (no not the dino riders) I think the worst (trex?) dino could shot lasers from his eyes... They could talk. Not sure if it was mental thought or if...

80s cartoon with space stationary dinosaurs? [ 3 Answers ]

There was a cartoon that had dinosaurs from a parallel plant to earth that were also stationary, like pteradactal with scissors. There was also a tape despenser on and one that blew bubbles. The were also all two colour, either black and red or black and yellow or black and blue a bit like the...

Ok: dinosaurs and creatures (90's) [ 2 Answers ]

Ok first movie I can't remember: A boy has all these toy dinosaurs and then somehow they come alive? I just remember his house being really nice and the dinosaurs like playing with his remote control car. Ehh? Second: Ok so little creatures that were really cute, in like a pet store? And the...

View more questions Search