Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Is it time for a new toilet.
    I replaced the rubber valve (big rubber thing that attaches to the flusher that closes and opens to let water in and out) water is still trickiling down the sides of the bowl after I flush. Is there something else I should replace or is it just time to change the bowl.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 13, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Toilets don't wear out and need to be replaced. The "flusher" you replaced is called a flapper. Sounds like your flapper linkage needs adjusting.
    With the flapper seated the linkage wants to have 1/4" of play. Too much play and the flapper doesn't get pulled back enough giving you a short flush. Too tight and it lets water seep past the flapper. I adjust the chain by the link and if it needs fine tuning, I bend the flush lever rod a bit untill I have the desired play in the linkage. One more thing about a flapper. you will see where the old flapper hooks onto the base of the white overflow tube. On a older type with no hooks the flapper has a ring that slips down over the overflow tube to the seat. If your tank has hooks, take a sharp knife or scissors and cut the neoprene ring off on the marks provided and hook the flapper on the hooks. Leaving the ring on will interfere with the flush. The water level in your tank should be 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube when the tank's filled. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000. 2nd time. But 1st time since 18th [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, So basically the story goes like this: In April of 2006, I was arrested for theft under $5000 for car prowling in a neighborhood and some alleyways. I was 17 at the time. We got caught with $1500 worth of golf clubs in the back of my dads car. Needless to say, my dad was pissed....

The smell of gas any time I flush my toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I have noticed that any time I flush my toilet on the first floor of my home I get the smell of gas that I believe to be sewer gas. I do not get it in the main bathroom on the second floor of my 2 story colonial. Should I contact the city or are there steps I can take to fix the problem?...

12.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Smokes fom Time to Time [ 9 Answers ]

This engine apprears to start and run fine. However, from time to time it will smoke like a freight train then clear up and be find. This may occur several times in a two hour period. Any sujections on what may be the cause? Thanks for your Help!

Help! 1st time home (condo) owner with seeping toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I checked the other postings and could not find one specifically on this issue and the questions about wax rings. I live on the bottom floor of a 3 story condo, for only about 6 months. When the main drain of the building gets clogged by the neighbors (like with papertowels or grease most...

Toilet takes long time to fill up after flushing [ 4 Answers ]

When I flush my toilet the water in the cistern is taking all day to fill up, any help out there

View more questions Search