Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    castanza Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2004, 12:43 PM
    Norton Anti Virus Protection
    Does anyone use this, if so, I need help. I know that with window updates, you need to download all critical updates. I assumed the same to be true with this program.

Guys I normally use the computer in my office, that is maintained by a computer department. So I am learning the hard way. As you know, Dell gives you a free or should I say Norton gives a free 90 day trial.

With the problems I have been having, trying to get the spyware off, and I did take care of the DSO Exploit problem, so I think. I used the solution on the board, where you take spybot into the advance mode/settings. etc. Anyway, I still have the problem of getting into Google or Yahoo on the internet explorer browser. I can use my web page (Bellsouth) Google search engine, but that is it. When I type in yahoo.com on the explorer browser, it takes me to a web page, yahoo.com.org, really strange. With Google, I just get the refresh page, cannot find the server on dns server.

So last night I decided to download everything that was a new update from norton, except for subscription service. Based on the title, I didn't think this was important, please tell me otherwise. After I did this, I came up with 17 viruses, and the system was able to fix 6. It still did not fix the problem. I ran norton a few more times, and the same results.

Here is what I got:

123917.DLR Dialer.TIBS dialer found
    Alchem.exe Adware.clickalch Adware found
    Alchem.exe Adware.clickalch Adware found
    Cdt bbi8016.exe Adware.Bargain Adware found
    Msbb.exe.tobedele Adware Ncase same
    Polall 1t.exe Adware Binet same
    Polall 1t.exe Download. Adware same
    Prelnstt.exe adware binet same
    Prelnstt.exe adware binet same
    Twaintec.dll adware binet
    Twaintec.dll adware binet same

I also have spybot, search and destroy, as well as, ad aware by lavasoft. My firewall that I downloaded after all of this is:sygate.com, the free personal home use.

Please let me know how I can delete these. That is if they are causing problems. For some reason, it does not delete. Also if the subscription (norton anti virus) is something more than just what it reads or I assume please let me know.

When you guys talk about registry problems and such, I am very naïve. Please stay basic as you can.

Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Jul 11, 2004, 10:08 PM
    Re: Norton Anti Virus Protection
    Regarding the first one found, please see the following:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...aler.tibs.html

For the others, go to: http://www.symantec.com/search/

Then copy and paste each one in the space provided, which will take you to a site for removal information.

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Nov 2, 2004, 12:33 PM
    The easiest solution is to download Giant Anti-Spyware to remove your spyware problem. I assume you are using Norton 2004 because it detected spyware and the earlier versions do not.

Having said that... Norton 2004 does not do a good job at spyware removal. It is just a cheap attempt to jump on the spyware removal bandwagon at this point. It is not a very effective spyware detector or remover.

Download the Giant software. A free trial of this software is available at the link below on the "Products" page. Just click on Free Downloads, download it... run it... problem solved.

You may also consider the Spyware-Adware Removal Kit for a complete solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best spyware and Virus Protection [ 7 Answers ]

I just had to format my hdrive because my virus protection did not catch the viruses. I'm using V-Com that has ghost surf and the built in firewall. I was reading some of the previous posts and some of you sugguested running two virus programs at the same time. Would there be any conflicts doing...

AVG Anti-Virus Scan Question [ 3 Answers ]

I have AVG Anti-Virus free edition. When I run a full system scan manually, the test comes back complete with no virus found and no errors. However, when I schedule a test to run automatically at a specific time, the result always comes back with 13 viruses found. Specifically, various trojan...

AVG Anti Virus getting erros [ 2 Answers ]

?? Hi Using Winxp Home I can install the free version (not the trial) the actual free version of AVG anti virus, the install is OK When I try to open it and use it I get a "Missing DLL SHELL" error AVG will not help because I am using the "free" version Any ideas? Have uninstalled and...

Anti-Virus download problems [ 2 Answers ]

My wife has an older Dell PC with Windows98SE and has been unable to download any of the free anti-virus or anti-spyware programs (which I have downloaded on my newer WinXP PC). When attempting to download nothing happens - no error message, etc. Any help will be appreciated. Jlh

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

View more questions Search