Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 05:52 AM
    USB Pens with less capital letters
    This is probably a very simple question to answer, but I don't know the answer.

When you remove a USB pen drive without first going through the menu to disable it, is there really a risk to wipe the drive? Why?

I could see that it would obviously corrupt a file that was in the process of being transferred, but apart from that I can't see how simply pulling out the pen drive would alter the solid state memory.

Any ideas?

The stupid filter won't let me post a topic with 1/2 of the letters uppercase... stupid.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 05:57 AM
    That has never happened to me. I always yank her out when activity is done on the USB drive. I've never used the "safely remove hardware" for those flash sticks.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Sep 13, 2007, 06:00 AM
    I can tell you it does happen, because I've done it twice (should have learnt first time, I know!)

If it's writing or looking at the TOC (if it has one that is?) and you remove it's power source there could be a possibility of it wiping or corrupting this, thus losing all the files... maybe?
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 07:21 AM
    I think if the disabling is part of the process then there should be a good reason for it.. Don't you think?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iAMfromHuntersBar
    If it's writing or looking at the TOC (if it has one that is?) and you remove it's power source there could be a possiblity of it wiping or corrupting this, thus losing all the files ... maybe?
    That's why I mentioned when the activity is done. Would one turn off a computer while its writing stuff to the hard drive?
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Sep 13, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Fair one... but I mean if you have something open... say 'My Computer' that is constantly looking at what is on that drive and you don't notice that could do something to it?

I'm no expert on this like, just guessing! Lol!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by benn11
    I think if the disabling is part of the process then there should be a good reason for it.. Don't you think?
    Yes, this is why I was asking how the wipe happens. From my understanding of solidstate physics and how these devices work, I don't really see why it would completely wipe, even if it was only reading.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Sep 13, 2007, 06:17 PM
    It wouldn't really wipe. It would scramble the boot sector and or TOC, making the drive unreadable, your data would still be there though.
    ajsholdings Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 05:39 PM
    I've done this before. I unplugged a usb sd card reader unsafely and lost the TOC. The way I restored the TOC was to place the sd card back into my digital camera and voilą the camera recreated the TOC. All my data was intact and the TOC rebuilt. I took some more pics and then put the card in my usb reader and copied everything to my PC hard drive without fail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using a Zydas 1211b USB adapter with a USB Extension cord. [ 12 Answers ]

I just bought a Zydas 1211B USB WiFi adapter,but it came with no cord.It works fine when plugged directly into my laptop,but when I plug it into a 5ft usb extension cord Windows recognizes it,but I can pick up no signals that I normally can.Occasionally Windows acts reluctant to recognize it,any...

Capital Budgeting and opportunity cost of capital [ 1 Answers ]

Wiley Co. is considering an investment of $200,000 in a project with a 5 year economic life. After tax net income from the project has been calculated at $22,00 per year including a deduction for depreciation of $30,000 per year. The residual or salvage value at the end of 5 years is $50,000....

Letters of introduction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am sending out letters to introduce myself to potential employers. Does anyone know where I can get templates without having to purchase anything? Thanks Wes

View more questions Search