Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taramtly Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Sep 13, 2007, 05:29 AM
    Herb to aid with conceiving
    Does anyone know of any herb (common preferably) that will increase the chances of a woman conceiving and help in the fertility prospect ?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 13, 2007, 06:23 AM
    I'm sorry to tell you that there really isn't one. Herbs should be avoided during pregnancy and all attempts at conception.

How long have you been trying?

Have you and your husband both had a pre-conception physical?

Sep 13, 2007, 07:36 AM
    I am 19 an my husband is 25 we've been married for almost a year and we've been trying for a baby for about 4 months.I have not had a test,but I know my husband is OK (down there) because he has a son already from a previous relationship.We've timed everything just right,but still nothing happens.Is there anything recommended?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 13, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Your husband should still be checked. Just because he has had one child in the past does not mean he is capable currently.

When was your last yearly female exam?
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 07:40 AM
    In addition to what J-9 said, 4 months is not really a long time. I can take up to a year of active trying to conceive... also if you were ever on hormonal birthcontrol, depending on th type, it can lengthen the process...
    mseik Posts: 40, Reputation: 6

Oct 4, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by taramtly
    I am 19 an my husband is 25 we've been married for almost a year and we've been trying for a baby for about 4 months.I have not had a test,but I know my husband is ok (down there) because he has a son already from a previous relationship.We've timed everything just right,but still nothing happens.Is there anything recommended?
    Hi,

Do you know when you ovulate? Do you know how to determine your ovulation? Some people vary quite a bit.

Here's a site to learn about determining your ovulation, just in case you haven't tried that yet:

Physical Signs of Ovulation
    ritabox Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Does anyone know of any herb (common preferably) that will increase the chances of a woman conceiving and help in the fertility prospect ?
    Hi, I think two things. The first is that maybe you're not in the right mental status for have a baby. Think about it. I don't know your personal situation but usually, if we don't reach to something, is because unconsciously we don't want it. Second, somebody think is not true but I really believe that what you eat is important (maybe aliments too acid that inhibit the way to sperm). Repeat, I don't know you and if I speak of my two believes is that... me too was on the same boat.
    MoniqueLise Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 05:38 AM
    Most western medical sources will tell you to avoid any kind of herbal during pregnancy. However, in western medicine there is widespread "fear" of herbals because they have not been sufficiently "studied". This is fear-mongering of the worst kind; herbs have been used safely for millennia, and there is considerable good knowledge of how herbs work. What we do need to be careful of is herbal-drug interactions (which are definitely possible, and not well-studied.) Otherwise, if you are using herbs with the help of reputable herbal resources (including books and professionals), I think your risk is less than the risk associated with the side effects of drugs.

In my experience, there are herbal supports that you can take safely while trying to conceive. I've done so. You should do some good research though, and ensure that you are completely comfortable doing so. It's also worthwhile to go through a complete medical physical, to be sure that there are no physical problems that need to be addressed. No herb will help you conceive if you have blocked fallopian tubes, for instance.

Assuming your health is good and there are no obvious problems, one of the best herbalists to read if you want to help with conception is Jill Aviva Romm. Her books are very helpful. If you can't find them on a store shelf and / or can't afford to buy them, check out your local library and see if they can borrow a copy from another library for you. You can then read the book at no cost!

Another good person to read is Susun Weed. She also has particular expertise with herbs and women.

While many will just tell you that you shouldn't take any kind of herb when pregnant, I don't believe this to be true. Herbs are a great way to support your body. They can help with a host of problems, from morning sickness to milk production after the baby is born.

In terms of helping to conceive, the best herb that I know of is chaste tree (also called Agnus vitex). There are some herbalists that suggest you can take chaste tree for up to 90 days into a pregnancy and suffer no ill effects. I have personal experience with this herb. In my case, I was trying to conceive another child at age 44. I took chaste tree throughout my cycle, and then used a pregnancy test if my period was late. If I got my period and / or I had not conceived yet, I stayed on the herb. Once I was sure I had conceived, I stopped the herb, with no problem for me or for my healthy daughter.

If you want the opinion of an herbalist on the safety of certain herbs during pregnancy, here is a very good list that I used as a quick check if I was interested in something:

http://www.growinglife.com/herbalsafety.htm

Hope this genuinely helps...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Here is a good site that lists everything you can try. But once you ARE pregnant you need to check the Monique's site.

Conception Naturally
    wayne0418 Posts: 51, Reputation: 9

Jan 1, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Taking charge of your fertility is a very good book.

Nov 18, 2008, 11:53 AM

Thanks every one I did try the chaste berry(Vitex) and in two months I conceived . Thanks for al the info.
    MoniqueLise Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by taramtly View Post
    Thanks every one I did try the chaste berry(Vitex) and in two months I conceived . Thanks for al the info.
    Congratulations! I hope you enjoy being a mother as much as I have...
    suzieb Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2008, 03:50 PM

I was unsuccessfully trying to conceive for over two years. Strangely when I cut out all caffeine from my diet and began using Geranium aromatherapy oil in my bath I conceived after about three months. Maybe coincidence or maybe not. Please note that you should exercise caution with aromatherapy products when pregnant!
    65DegN Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 10:11 PM

It could be that your body is not ready and so will not allow pregnancy yet.
    TCM practitioners have excellent results with pregnancy issues using accupuncture and herbs.
    prisha Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Apr 4, 2009, 06:30 PM
    Wow... I can't believe I saw this question. I am a practitioner of Tradition Chinese Medicine. I specialize in treating women with fertility problems... men too. I have been doing this exclusively for 10 years and have seen amazing result.

It is true that we do not give Chinese herbs once you are pregnant unless you have a history of miscarriages. If this is the case it then you take herbs for 3 months before you conceive and then switch you to herbs to help hold the pregnancy for the first 2 trimesters.

Most of the women I work with are in their late 30's and early 40's and I have about a 37% success rate which is good for the women I treat.

You can check out my site. Natural fertility treatments irregular period treated, fertility

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Conceiving again after miscarriage [ 3 Answers ]

It's been six months since I had a miscarriage at 11 weeks. I had a DNC done afterwards. We've been trying to conceive again and my cycles have been irregular ever since. Before I was always regular .Now I am having a period each month and have bought the ovulation predictor tests the passed month...

Conceiving [ 1 Answers ]

My cousin told me that she heard that if the woman orgasms during intercourse (and so does the man), it makes it easier to get pregnant. Is there any truth to this?

Where can I buy herb seeds? [ 3 Answers ]

Obviously, the medicinal use herbs. I would like to grow my own and do some little experiments. The Chinese stores do not carry seeds.

How do you take care of the herb dill [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dill plant and it seems to turn brown. I would like to know the care of that herb. :confused:

View more questions Search