Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bee_day69 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2005, 09:21 AM
    Is it stalking or not?
    Is it considered stalking whenever someone illegally wiretaps your telephone line and announces across it to you who they are and why they're doing it to you? If it is, I guess I'm being stalked and have been now for quite some time.
    Without going into all the details of the mess I've been contending with, I would just like to know what can a person do to prevent such nonsense besides reporting it to the local law enforcement agency.
    If anyone has any suggestions or can tell me whether this is even considered stalking, please reply... Thank you.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 20, 2005, 09:31 AM
    It is stalking and illegal, and you don't need to be in law enforcement to know that. What I did to get rid of annoying phonecalls was to get a free handy with a two year contract, and only share the number with those I choose. This cannot be tapped by a layperson, only the law, and they need a good reason to monitor that. Or, tell your land-lord to have the telephone wires checked and repaired, that you hear a strange click, don't even have to go into details. If neither of these options work for you, you really should get the law involved - a tapper and stalker does not always stick to just that. Good Luck.
    Bee_day69 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2005, 06:55 AM
    Thanks for the information
    :) Chery, I appreciate the information you have given me. I have contacted my local telephone company several times and they have repaired my line several times. It will sound clear for a couple of hours, even a day or two sometimes, but then it starts all back over again. This person wants me to know who he is. He's not backwards about it. He's actually tapped the line itself and is listening to conversations across my line. He also has several lines of his own which he has apparently tapped into mine with, both at his home and at his business. People call him on his lines and I get to hear their conversations across my line right when I'm in the process of trying to have a conversation with someone myself. So, as you can imagine it is very annoying.
    He intercepts calls coming into my home from time to time. He has made endless threats against friends of mine, telling them to never contact me again or else he will harm them in some way.
    I see him as just a very annoying pest, that refuses to back off and leave others alone.
    I have never been involved with this man nor have I ever desired to be.
    I just wish he would get off my phone line and stop harassing me.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 22, 2005, 08:10 AM
    No problem, but... Dear, if he is tapping you through his business also, please get a professional involved. It should not be hard to find someone who dithers around with telephones, just like hackers and computers, if you still don't want to get the law involved, - because he threatens your friends, and he will NOT stop at just that. He has you in his sights for whatever reason and is a sociopath for sure, so please don't take it lightly, and also wishing him away will not help. Until this gets resolved with your telephone line, get a cheap cell phone - really! They help when you are stuck outside of your home for quick calls to taxi, police, etc, so you don't have to use it too often, and the rates are getting cheaper. Some companies also offer cell phones with 'call ya' cards, where you buy credits for your phone when they are low - so you won't even have to register it with a phone company and it will not get put in the public phonebook either. Try Vodaphone, E-plus, or O-2 if you are in europe, and if not, check out services in the states, go to a cell phone store and ask them for the best type for you. Maybe there are some kids in your neighborhood who use them all the time and can give you some good advice. Please don't just sit there, this sounds too dangerous and the sooner you get assistance the better. Good luck to you.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2005, 04:41 AM
    Phone tapping
    Hi,
    You really do need to get the local law enforcement agency, or police, involved.
    You are Playing with something that could eventually mean disaster.
    Go see the Police, report it, and keep at it with them, until you get results.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    Sassy4556 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 10:49 AM
    The phone company can also investigate this. I would not let him know you are taking action against him. This man will be caught.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2006, 08:47 PM
    Actually it is most likely not stalking, first what state are you in, each state will have its own laws and what makes up each crime. Some states may not even have a stalking law, but would file under other laws.

For example some states have a car jacking law, but it would merely be a combination of armed robbery and car theft.

What you have first is illegal wire tapping, next you have most liely a tresspassiing and perhaps a breaking and enty to set up a wire tap.

Next they will have violated some Federal Communication laws, since to conncet they most likely opened the phone companies both that is restricted.

The items you explained are all illegal, they way you explained them.
    And no it is not harmless, a person who continues to do this, sounds very dangerous and perhaps mentally unstable.

I do have to wonder how he is doing this, unless he lives right next door or is going up on the pole by your house. He appears to be crossing your line and his, if you can also hear his calls. (very poor taping)

There are divices you buy that will re-dial your phone to another number, it sounds he is somehow doing a three way call with your phone.

You need to call the police, ( I don't understand why they were not the first phone call you made) Let them tape and listen to all of what he does.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 31, 2006, 06:34 AM
    Fr_Chuck - couldn't rate you again, have to spread it.

Your advice is very good and I hope she takes it to heart.
    When she mentioned that she could listen to his conversations too, I thought maybe they have a 'part line' contract/setup - which would mean he lives pretty close. But if he can do this from his office, he just might be a lousy telephone company employee.

At any rate, get this stuff taped somehow and contact the company and police. This has got to STOP!
    Expert

Jan 31, 2006, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    Fr_Chuck - could't rate you again, have to spread it.

Your advice is very good and I hope she takes it to heart.
    When she mentioned that she could listen to his conversations too, I thought maybe they have a 'part line' contract/setup - which would mean he lives pretty close. But if he can do this from his office, he just might be a lousy telephone company employee.

At any rate, get this stupp taped somehow and contact the company and police. This has got to STOP!

I don't do this for any rating, I am not even sure how that rating thing works, but thank you. I am a grad of the Federal Law enforcement acad, the police acadamey in GA and the correctional acadamey in GA. And I have worked for varioius security and private dectitive firms during my somewhat sort of past. So while I may not have it down in every state, I just have a hard to understanding why a call to the police is not the first call you make.

I did have to laugh on the news yesterday, police called to a breaking and entering, someone knocked a persons door in. Police got there and there was drugs, guns and money all over the place. I guess they should have waited to call the police.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 31, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Fr_Chuck, I'm sure you don't give advice to get rated, it's just my way of agreeing with not only the advice, but the way it is formulated by using the 'comment on this post' feature which is optional to all of us and my way of showing appreciation for your time and effort since we all do this on our own time. I'm sure that even you appreciate positive feedback - and deserve it.
    Expert

Jan 31, 2006, 07:17 PM
    Thank you,

Normally there are almost no party lines left in the US that I am aware of, I will post this and 1000 people will tell me I am wrong. Normally now, by using impulses the same wire will carry 100's of signals without confusing them, Sometimes you will hear people on your line when there is phone issues at one of the switching boxes ( not sure of right term for them)

And if the phone company comes out and "fixes" it, then in a few days it comes back, it sounds like there is a line or feed being used from her house, personaly guess. A person living real close, esp in same apartment building can tap into your line and use your phone for thiers, same number so when their friends call him, it also rings in your house.

The other, if she is using a portable wireless phone, he merely has to find one using the same freq and is able to hear and talk on her phone also.
    But all of these would require being close.

And of course a expert in the phone system could tap into the line anywhere between her house and the main box,
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 10:18 AM
    First, are you sure it's not President Bush? Cause if it is then everything is all right, nothing to worry about, you might have had conversations with someone that knows someone that knows someone that knows a terrorist or something which is naturally probable cause for the wire tap. :}
    Why don't you just go find the biggest, toughest boyfriend you can and convince him you really want this clown off your back. By the time the authorities do anything at all, things may well get drastic. I think you need protection now. People that will go to these lengths are twisted. How much control is enough?:cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stalking and harassment [ 15 Answers ]

I am trying desperately to break up with someone who was living with me and not paying bills. He was hired as temporary/part time for my company as one of my assistants to try to make some money. It was an at-will employment status, which means I can get rid of him whenever I choose. He is now...

Ending and Stalking [ 1 Answers ]

I need help with this. I met this guy in a game (sue me) and he was all into me and wanted to meet me IRL (he lives close, within 300 miles). He 'loves me' and so I 'loved him' and then he began talking about serious things: Marriage, sex, babies.. And something else, I'm not even straight. But he...

View more questions Search