Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ranga rao Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2005, 11:02 PM
    How to disable the Write Protected 128 Mb pen drive (frontech).
    Hi ,I having 128 Mb flash drive of Frontech company.for some unknown reason that showing "write protected ,disable it to use" message is coming.I tried several ways but not succeeded.how to disable that write protected flash drive.presently it allows to copy from the drive but not to that drive and not also accepting the deleting or formatting the drive.how to overcome the problem.
    Thanks for any help.
    Bye,
    ranga rao.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2005, 01:37 AM
    Is there any switch on the flash drive? Is the drive full? If not it might be an idea to try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. To do that try:

• Plug in the flash drive
    • Right click on My Computer
    • Choose Properties
    • Switch to the hardware tab
    • There should be a button like "Device Manager". Click on this.
    • Find your flash drive on this list. Right click on it and choose uninstall.
    • Unplug the flash drive, wait a few seconds then plug it back in.
    • You should now get a new hardware wizard dialog from which you can reinstall the drivers.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 20, 2005, 05:37 AM
    I have a similar flash drive from Transcend. It has a slide switch on the drive that turns write protection on or off. As far as I know, the only way to write protect such a drive is with a switch on the device itself.

Sep 21, 2005, 04:28 AM
    My flash drive doesn't have a switch
    Thanks for your replies ,but my flash drive doesn't have any switch to enable / disable the write protect.moreover in win 2k/xp the drivers for the flash device are coming default.how to uninstall those default(generic) device drivers.Iam using win xp .
    Waiting for help.
    Bye,
    ranga rao
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2005, 04:56 AM
    Did you get drivers with the flash pen? If so it might be best to update the drivers that come with Windows to those. Do that by:

• Click on Start
    • Right click on My Computer and choose Properties
    • Choose the hardware tab
    • Click the Device Manager button
    • Find your flash drive on this list somewhere.
    • Right click on it, choose Update Driver.
    • If you get some Windows Update driver search thing, click no.
    • You'll be asked if you want to install the driver automatically or from a list/location. Choose the location option.
    • Then make sure the search looks on the disk the drivers were provided to you on. The rest should be pretty clear.

Sep 21, 2005, 05:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ranga rao
    thanks for ur replies ,but my flash drive doesn't have any switch to enable / disable the write protect.moreover in win 2k/xp the drivers for the flash device are coming default.how to uninstall those default(generic) device drivers.Iam using win xp .
    waiting for help.
    bye,
    ranga rao
    I don't think it's a drivers issue because I don't think that the generic drivers offer that feature.

Have you tried looking for the manufacturer's WEB site to see if there are instructions for how to turn the write protect off? I still think there is some switch on the device itself.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 22, 2005, 11:26 AM
    How did you get the information on the drive in the first place?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2005, 04:14 AM
    Frontech Drive
    Hi,
    This particular drive automatically write protects anything... you can't change it!
    Here is a link:

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp...816&cat_id=611

Please go to the link, scroll down to beneath the picture of the drive, and read the explanation on how you can change the password, to be able to read it. But, as the steps indicate, if you change the password, it will erase everything on the drive !
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2005, 05:12 AM
    Fred - that link doesn't work for me. Anyone else having issues?

Either way - there's you solution. Copy everything off the flash drive, edit what you need, wipe it, then put it back.

Sep 23, 2005, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    This particular drive automatically write protects anything.....you can't change it!!
    Here is a link:

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp...816&cat_id=611

Please go to the link, scroll down to beneath the picture of the drive, and read the explanation on how you can change the password, to be able to read it. But, as the steps indicate, if you change the password, it will erase everything on the drive !
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Hmm, I tried the link and it didn't work for me. Since the only info we have on this drive is that its "128 Mb flash drive of Frontech company" I question how anyone can be sure what model it is and what features it has. I also question why a drive like that would be made Write Once. The whole purpose of such drives is to provide portable storage. Making it Write Once would seem to negate much of its value and marketability.
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2005, 06:22 AM
    Link
    Hi, LT,
    The link I gave worked fine for me; tried it again from this site; went straight to the website.
    Here is a copy and paste from the site:

"The one advantage this drive has, is that it provides for secure storage - the drive is password-protected. But it can also work against you! In case you happen to lose the password, which you use to access the drive, there is a utility provided for you to change the password. But in the process, you will lose all data, so beware!"

The drive is password protected; can't be changed!
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Sep 24, 2005, 07:04 AM
    According to the site, some sort of software utility should have come with it so you could reset the device's password, but of course that will clear the device. If you have a CD or something with it, try using that.

It seems as though it automatically write protects - no option of turning it off - so if you are able to reset it, make sure you don't forget the password!

Sep 24, 2005, 03:03 PM
    Well the link worked on my home machine. Still no assurance that the asker has the Genius (boy is that a misnomer) model. But there are several questions, all unanswered, about this write protect issue on that site.

This looks like a device to stay far away from.
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2005, 04:21 AM
    Drive
    Hi,
    When I said "the drive is password protected; can't be changed", was saying one thing and meaning another!
    The PASSWORD can be changed, but it will erase everything on the Drive.
    The fact that a password HAS to be used, is true.
    The drive itself automatically asks for a password; no way around NOT using a password.
    There is no way to disable the write-protected feature of the Drive; it is built-in when manufactured.
    fredg

Dec 23, 2005, 02:07 AM
    Pen drive write protect
    Hi ,I tried in all respects ,but not succeeded.
    I contacted the Frontech company ,but a strange response came from them,that is "on their name another company from Delhi ,India manufacturing that products and gave their web address",but that was not working.
    I tried with the software came along with the drive and tried even to format the drive ,but for that thing also that asking password again and refusing to format.
    I tried on uninstalling and installing the drivers ,but that also not worked .
    The link provided by Scott Gem is not working.
    I think that drive should be thrown away.
    Bye.
    envirotech Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2006, 02:17 AM
    Hi ,I having 128 Mb flash drive of Frontech company.for some unknown reason that showing "write protected ,disable it to use" message is coming.I tried several ways but not succeeded.how to disable that write protected flash drive.presently it allows to copy from the drive but not to that drive and not also accepting the deleting or formatting the drive.how to overcome the problem.
    Thanks for any help.
    Bye,
    envirotech.[/QUOTE]
    envirotech Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2006, 02:24 AM
    Thanks for any help.
    Bye,
    envirotech.[/quote]

Apr 21, 2006, 05:42 AM
    Some drives have a slide that makes them write protected. Others its done in software. I suggest going to Frontech's web site and checking for a manual for your drive that will give you instructions.
    Rajeshrama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2006, 01:31 AM
    HI friends.
    I am also having the same problem of write protected.
    "How to disable the Write Protected 128 Mb pen drive (frontech - Genius Drive) USB FLASH DRIVE "

Jul 2, 2006, 04:45 AM
    Did you try the solutions mentioned?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floppy Drive Doesn`t Read or Write [ 6 Answers ]

Please help I`m running win xp pro xp2 and I`ve just put in a floppy drive to make boot discs , the puter recognises the drive but the light is always on when I connect the power lead and it doesn`t read or write I hope someone can help p.s I`ve just put a multi card reader in and that light is...

Protected Storage Server [ 1 Answers ]

I have Win98 with this PSTORES.EXE on it when I click on display active tasks in the winpatrol program. What is it, what does it do or protect and is the program needed on the computer? If not needed how do you OR should you get rid of it?

Floppy disk permanently write protected [ 1 Answers ]

The computer always displays the Write Protect error message, even if the write protect tab is in the write position. Can you tell me how to solve this problem?

Copied Excel 2003 write protected [ 4 Answers ]

I want to use an Excel file from my desktop PC on my laptop. When I copy an UNPROTECTED excel 2003 file the copy is always WRITE PROTECTED and the check boxes are greyed out. I cannot save with a new name and unprotect it as access is denied. I am using Nero to burn the CD Any help much...

Destination file is write protected [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I'm trying to install a program and I'm getting this error message Warning - Can not copy file D:\temp\SETUP1.EX_ since the destination file is write protected I click Ok then another message appear Invalid command-line parameters. Unable to continue Then Setup wasn't complete...

View more questions Search