Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahandygirl2b Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Toilet Tank will not fill with water
    My toilet tank does not fill back up with water after I flush it. I turned off the valve, disconnected the hose, and turned the valve back on to see if there might be a clog, but there was none. Also, there is a trickling dripping noise coming from inside the tank, but there is now water leaking from anywhere. What could be causing these problems?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 06:31 PM
    I don't know what kind of a fill valve you have in your tank so I will just talk about things in general. First, does the float fall down after you flush the toilet? If it does that is what should let new water fill your tank, so if it is falling and no water comes into the tank there must be as stoppage in the valve itself. Therefore I would turn off the water supply and sponge all the water out of the tank. I would then take the fill valve out of the tank and look in the bottom of it to see if you can see something that would cause the water not to go through. If you don't see anything I would take the valve apart to see if something is in the upper part of the valve, if you don't find anything I would re-install the valve back in the tank, reconnect the water and with the valve still apart, that is with the top off, turn the water on very slowly with a glass turned upside down over the valve opening, so that if water does come out it will be turned back into the tank and not squirted to the ceiling. If no water comes out I would buy a new valve and replace the old one.

There is one valve that has a lever on the side of it that will not let the float fall unless the tank handle is tripped. If you have this you can see that you handle should lift it.

Now about the dripping noise, I think this is caused by the ball in the bottom of the tank not sealing good. You may have a ball with a wire screwed into the top of it or you may have a flapper that covers the hole in the tank, replace which ever one you have with the same kind and that should stop the dripping. If this post helps you please let me know.
    John Da Posts: 195, Reputation: 3

Sep 13, 2007, 04:30 AM
    Sounds like rubber flapper isn't sealing properly. If there is water coming into tank after you flush---------- RUBBER FLAPPER IS YOUR BAD-BOY :)
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Is your fill valve one that has a ball on it or a single stalk? How old is the fill valve? If it is over 5 years old just get a fluidmaster 400 and replace it. If it is a fluidmaster and is not orange, the seal has swollen and needs to be replaced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank will not fill with water [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, When flushing the toilet, the bowl is full with water but the tanks is empty. When releasing the lever to flush the toilet neither the water in the bowl is released or does the tank fill with water, can you please advise what is causing this and how I can fix this trouble bymyself. ...

Toilet tank willnot fill [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks to two kids, the toilet was clogged. We used a plunger to unclog the toilet, but the tank emptied and willnot fill up with water. Any ideas?:eek:

Toilet bowl doesn't fill up with water [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I just bought a house and have so much to learn. When I flush the toilet, sometimes the tank doesn't fill up with water and sometimes it does. It seems to happen every other flush. Can anyone help me to determine which part I need to buy? Thank you, Amy

Toilet has no water. Tank is full. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ! We have a second home. After not being there for several weeks we noticed that the upstairs toilet had no water in it. The tank is full but the toilet is empty. What could be the cause of this? Is something clogged? Thanks Mimi

Low water pressure and toilet won't fill. [ 2 Answers ]

I woke up this morning to a problem and I'm hoping to be able to fix it myself. Any help is greatly appreciated. The toilet on the main floor of my house will not refill. I double checked that the water to the toilet is turned on. We have also discovered that the water pressure through the...

View more questions Search