Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deaonerox Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 01:39 PM
    GFA Heat; Poor Heating in Apt - Heat is Trapped Near the Ceiling
    In a nutshell: The warm-air registers in my apt are at the very top of the ten foot high walls. Hot air does not circulate properly to heat my 1-bedroom apartment.

Details: Based on what I know about the basics of energy, heat rises. And I can't for the life of me understand who thought putting the register's at the top of ten foot tall ceilings was a good idea. But this seems to be the standard for homes/buildings in my neighborhood.

I winterize my home every year by letting the storm windows down and putting plastic up to all the old wood sash windows. My furnace is located inside the utility closet in my unit and I make sure to change the filter as needed. I have an electric blower heater for the bedroom, but I don't think this is practical or cost-effective. When I walk out of my bedroom it feels like I'm stepping right out into the Chicago winter. My thermostat is cranked all the way up to 85 non stop and obviously the costs associated with that are astronomical.

Are there any suggestions for what else I can do to "get the hot air down to my level"? Is there a such thing as a register adapter that can be affixed to the register that can direct the hot air down? Can there be something wrong with the furnace?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Can you hang ceiling fans and put them on reverse? They will blow the warm air down.

Sep 12, 2007, 01:49 PM
    That does seem simple enough. I don't think there'd be a problem if I installed ceiling fans; most of the other units have them as well. Any type of fan will do?
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Just make sure it can go in reverse. Not all models do.

Sep 12, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Thanks. Thanks. And Thanks. I can't wait to get these put it. Do you think my landlord would foot the bill? Or some of it, if I explained what their purpose was? But, if not, I wouldn't even care since it'd be far cheaper than my dec-jan-feb gas bill.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 04:06 PM
    It wouldn't hurt to ask. You most likely will need a permit.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 11:45 PM
    Almost all fans have a reverse feature, and you don't actually need the reverse feature for heat recirculations. Fans will DEFINITELY help. Get decent ones, see my recommendations in the Electrical/Lighting FAQ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating Problem - Kenmore Heavy Duty 60 Series Soft Heat [ 4 Answers ]

My Kenmore Heavy Duty 60 Series Soft Heat Model 96565210will not heat on any setting. The dryer runs normally, it just won't heat at all. We did install a new heat element, and that would not heat up. Any help is appreciated!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Heat Pump not heating house -fan is running [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Ruud heat pump that is 12-13years old & as of the last few days, it does not seem to be heating the house very well but it has been very cold for this part of the country. It works well when the outside temp is above 50 degrees. It has been in the upper 30's and low 40's. We put on the...

Electric heat pump auxilery heat problem [ 4 Answers ]

Equipment: Trane XL1400 4 years old Auxilery heat: Strips... 2 -60Amp circuits Filters changed every 30 days I cleaned outdoor unit summer 2006, as every year. Thermostat: Honeywell Chromotherm II Problem: I have been noticing at times the aux heat kicking in at times I think it should not....

View more questions Search