Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommy17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Does the father have rights before the baby is born even though I'm under age?
    Okay my name is Anastasia and I'm 17 and pregnant and my boyfriend is the father who is 18. My parents didn't press charges or anything because they really cant. But they won't let me see him or anything. Even thought I'm underage does he still have rights before the baby iis born to see me and things like that
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 12:38 PM
    His "rights" will be to see the child upon its birth. Until the birth he has no rights to see you.

Why didn't your parents press charges? At the hospital they will figure out you were underage when you got pregnant and he claims the baby.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 01:11 PM
    As Glind said... there are no "rights" until the baby is born... I know it a morbid thought, but many things can happen (hopefully they don't) that result in the pregnancy terminating.

So no, you have to wait it out until the baby is born.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Sep 13, 2007, 01:39 PM
    The only way he would have any rights is if you were emancipated by the courts and you married him. I do not think this would be an easy process.
    baby_girl_07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy17
    okay my name is Anastasia and im 17 and pregnant and my boyfriend is the father who is 18. my parents didnt press charges or anything because they really cant. but they wont let me see him or anything. even thought im underage does he still have rights before the baby iis born to see me adn things like that
    Okay let me tell you something that I just went through I'm also 17 and just had a baby girl who is now 7 months old I ran away before my baby was born and I was 17 at the time the cops went to my boyfriend house and they couldn't take me away b-cuz I was 17 and my mom knew where he lived so one thing to tell you if your mom knows where this guy lives then yes you can actually live with him even if she doesn't aprove of him or you there 17 now days is like you getting ready to be a adult and so they treat you like one so to be clear and to answer your question you can see him as long as your mom knows whre he live if she doesn't then just show here lol
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Sorry at 17 in most states, if you run away, the police drag you home, there are a few states that will not. But running away does not do anything but show you are not mature enough to deal with things properly.

And if you are 17 and run off to someone who is 18, they can have the 18 year old arrested for interfering with custody and normally other things.
    onenonlymanders Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Sep 16, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Well I had my first baby when I was 16 and they really can't stop him if he wanted to go to the doctors appointments and ultra sounds with you because he is the father so he kind of does have rights they can't stop him from going to ANY of your appointments
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 16, 2007, 05:18 PM
    Okay, here are the legalities of teen pregnancy.

The parents control what happens to the teen who is pregnant. Once the teen girl gives birth she is the one who decides what is good for her baby. However, if she is still underage, her parents control what they feel is good for her.

It is the PARENT who is in control. The teen girl is the parent of the newborn, so she makes the decisions about the baby, yet her parents are still responsible for her.
    NotUrOrdinaryGirl Posts: 29, Reputation: 5

Sep 17, 2007, 09:08 PM
    It is my understanding that the parents can't press charges because "rape" is when the person is 4 years apart from the person and under 18. I'm not 100% sure. Check it out though

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Signing over rights before the child is born [ 5 Answers ]

I need some advise, I am pregnant and am not with the father of the unborn child. He has agreed to sign over rights, is there any way to do so before the child is born or can this only be done at the time of birth. I don't want this guy to change his mind at the last minute because he is not fit...

Supporting father of baby about to be born [ 4 Answers ]

I am almost nine months pregnant and the father is living with me. I have been supporting him for 7 months because he keeps promising to get some income. He does not seem to be trying very hard. He also is verbally abusive and threatens to leave me and never speak to me again if I don't keep paying...

How do I file taxes with dependent wife and new born baby: Advise [ 1 Answers ]

I am from India and am married. My wife is on H4 dependent visa joined me in US on April 14,2006 and gave birth to our son on Jan 29,2007. It looks like I won't be able to claim benefits for my son as he was born on Jan 29, 2007 but wanted to know if there were some benefits of being pregnant...

H1B, with wife on H4 and one new born baby in US [ 3 Answers ]

I was on H1B since 2005 Oct. and got married in the same month, my wife came joining me from China in 2005 Dec and since then we haven't leave the states. My baby was born in 2006 Oct. and is almost 3 month old. Last year when I file 2005 Tax return I applied and received the Tax ID for my wife...

Born in France to an american Father [ 1 Answers ]

I havea friend who's American Father was working for the Secret Service in France when she was born to her French Mother. She has been told she could be deported to France and was brought here in 1962.. she was born in 1961. She has never been to France. IS she considered an american citizen? She...

View more questions Search