Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    r41nb0w Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2005, 11:41 AM
    Release from a Lease
    This may turn out to be a very confusing question, but I hope that I can get an answer (or perhaps just help finding the answer).

I'm eighteen years old, and am living with my mother and younger sister in California. Up until a couple months ago, we were living in an apartment with my mother's exboyfriend. My mother and he had signed a lease together, and we later moved out. We ended up moving back in (before moving to the place we are currently in). Upon moving out for the second time, my mother asked the property management company what she would need to do to remove herself from the lease (leaving her exboyfriend the sole leasee). The woman there told her to simply give them a thirty-day notice, and she would be removed. My mother did just that, thinking that things were fine. Recently (just the other day, in fact), my mother's exboyfriend received a sixty-day notice. That notice was directed to my mother and he (my mother was listed first, which we found to be weird as well). My mother called the property management office, and they said that she had indeed given a thirty day notice (it was in the computer system) and wasn't going to be held responsible for the money owed (you see, that was the reason for the sixty-day notice). My mother also called the lawyer, and the lawyer informed her that she SHOULD have been held responsible but because the property management already said it was fine... then nothing would be done against her. My mother asked the lawyer for a written statement saying that she was not responsible for the money owed, and the lawyer refused... Telling her that she was legally responsible, and he just wasn't going to give her the written statement.

Knowing all that, my question is this: Is my mother legally responsible for the money owed?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2005, 12:59 PM
    Lease
    Have the property manager give you a letter stating you were release.

mr.yet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water well tank air release [ 8 Answers ]

Hey Guys, need some help Water tank pressure release? About halfway up the tank is the is the pressure indicator which is mounted on a "Brady Bar-125 float (or whatever it is called) I installed a new control box that has the 35/50 off/on set and after about a day it is settled on 29/45...

Ip address release problem [ 4 Answers ]

Have a small network of aprox 850 computers. Mixed novel and Server 2003. Have one computer with error message, duplicate ip address. Tried ipconfig release and renew, that did not work. Unplugged the network connection and did release and renew again, still did not release the ip address. Put...

New release DVD's recommendations [ 8 Answers ]

Guys, I need some ideas of New Release DVD's to buy any ideas ? I've got King Kong and Harry Potter, but any others that are worth a punt.

Gas cap release [ 3 Answers ]

The gas cap release lever on my 2003 Honda Accord has stopped working. Periodically it will not release but does eventually release. This time it will not release and I am about out of gas! Does anyone know what is wrong or how to get the latch to release?

View more questions Search