Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lgwillhoite Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2005, 05:27 AM
    Aol Browser
    I click on the shortcut to launch the browser and it launches, but after it loads my home page, the browser closes . Any ideas? Thanks. I have some bookmarks that I would like to get and backup before I uninstall and re install
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Oct 5, 2005, 09:03 PM
    Hi lgwillhoite,

Check for spyware and/or viruses. I would suggest downloading Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 from:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...d,22262,00.asp

Once installed, enable Tea Timer. Open the Spybot Search & Destroy, click the "+" sign next to Tools on the left side of the screen, click System Startup, then on the right side of the page check HK_CU Run Spybot Tea Timer.

Go to: http://sarc.com/ Scroll down and click on,"Free Online Virus and Security Check" and run the virus check. Write down exactly anything it finds, then return to: http://sarc.com/ and do a search for what was found. Symantec usually has a removal tool and/or directions for removing manually.

Hope this helps!
    Lorry

Oct 7, 2005, 06:10 AM
    REPLY TO WISKEY ref Aol browser
    The link you gave me does not have version 1.4 but I found one at the Spybot web site. Also I don't use Teatimer and the box was already checked for the
    HK_CU RUN SPYBOT TEA TIMER or was I suppose to un check it?

Also I am running Windows 98se and the security check at SARC.Com does nor support Windows 98se.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2005, 06:40 AM
    I don't know AOL too well but I'm sure there are some easy ways of backing up your personal filling cabinet (as I believe it's called). See if there is a foldre in C:\Program Files\AOL called bookmarks, or PFC or something like that. Your bookmarks might just be sitting in there.

There are also a number of free services that will copy your bookmarks off your PC and store them on the internet. You could use one of these while you reinstall. http://www.mybookmarks.com/ for example.

That said, just try installing AOL over the top of your existing installation. I don't believe it will remove your bookmarks. Don't quote me on this though.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 7, 2005, 12:01 PM
    Depending on what version of AOL your favorites may be stored online. To back them up, you need to open the Favorites folder (keyword Favorites, then open the folder) and use the Save option.

Oct 7, 2005, 05:50 PM
    AOL browser
    I do not use the AOL service, just the free browser so I am unable to log in to AOL. Thanks anyway
    Larry

Oct 8, 2005, 05:08 AM
    Are you referring to the Netscape browser? If so, favorites are saved as bookmarks.

Oct 8, 2005, 06:15 AM
    No the AOL browser

Oct 8, 2005, 11:10 AM
    I'm confused. I am not aware of the AOL browser as a separate entity. The AOL Browser is used in concurrence with the AOL client only as far as I know.

Did you ever have AOL. Does it say something like 'brought to you by AOL' in the title bar of your browser? If so, that's just Internet Explorer. When you used AOL it installed a skin that IE uses. But AOL used Internet Explorer.

Oct 11, 2005, 04:38 AM
    Reply to scott
    Just go to Google search and type in AOL browser and see all the listings for this browser.
    It is not a part of the AOL service browser. It is available to all the public for standard browsing just like internet exolorer, netscape, Firefox, etc...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2005, 05:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lgwillhoite
    Just go to google search and type in AOL browser and see all the listings for this browser.
    It is not a part of the AOL service browser. It is avaliable to all the public for standard browsing just like internet exolorer, netscape, firefox, etc....
    Do you mean this? http://beta.aol.com/projects/aolexplorer/
    Why would you want to use that? I wouldn't touch it with a 12 foot pole.

It's too new and sparsely distributed, I doubt you will find any support here. Try their own discussion groups: http://messageboards.aol.com/aol/en_...e%20Connection

Oct 11, 2005, 05:56 AM
    If you are talking about that Beta, remember it is beta software. And I agree with Need, I wouldn't touch it.

Oct 11, 2005, 05:03 PM
    AOL browser
    Scott

A final version has been released ver 1.1.4

It was a beta
    I did not have the beta version
    Thanks larry

Oct 11, 2005, 05:40 PM
    I would still stay away from it. I'm an AOL member and I like AOL but I am not real enamored of their programming staff. I would not trust a standalone browser from them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to design a web browser using VB [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to design a web browser in visual basic and I don't know how to start or how to design it. Can somebody give me some tips on how to do it and also some codes? In that web browser also, I would like to use a customized image to make it unique. Can someone help out? :confused:

Shell Browser - Help [ 2 Answers ]

I know I had asked this question someone before and I cannot find the answer at the moment. So I decided to start a new thread just to deal with this issue. Sorry about that. I have now have this pop up and I do not know what to do. I think this is appearing because I just put on Spyware blaster...

My browser is being hijacked... [ 6 Answers ]

Every time I open a browser window it changes to "Searchfrombrowser". I google'd it and I think it's part of NewDotNet but I can't find ANYTHING that will get rid of it. Any suggestions? Many thanks! GWI :-/

Hijacked Browser [ 2 Answers ]

I got to this forum because I did a search for "DSO," which is what spybot said I have. I think I effectively removed it following all previous instructions. Thanks. But, my problem still remains... When ever I open IE browser it is hijacked to http://ssearch.biz/?wmid=1010 and I can't use the...

Browser issues [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've been having a hesitation issue with my browser. I'm using IE version 6.0.2800.1106IC. I had a feeling it was spyware or a virus. I ran adaware and spybot. Spybot keeps finding a dso exploit. I have spybot delete it but it keeps coming back. I also had a reference to VX2 but I seem to have...

View more questions Search