Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Venus1522 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Falling objects
    A juggler throws a ball straight up into the air. The ball remains in the air for a time before it lands back in the jugglers hand.

With what speed did the juggler throw the ball into the air?
    bill2007 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 11, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Been a while since I took physics, but...
    The total energy of the baal should remain equal. When the ball is a the peak of its height, it has 100% potential energy. When it is just about to leave the juggler's hand, it has 100% kinetic energy. These two values should be the same.

First, calculate the potential energy at the peak height. U=mgh where U=potential energy, m=mass of the ball, g=standard gravity (9.8m/s-squared), and h=height of the ball. This value should also equal the kinetic energy when the ball is leaving the juggler's hand.

For kinetic energy, E=0.5mv-squared where E=kinetic energy (equal to potential energy calculated above), m=mass of the ball, and v=velocity.

Mathematically
    U=E
    mgh=0.5mv-squared

since m is on both sides it can be eliminated (meaning you don't need to know the mass of the ball)

gh=0.5v-squared

solving for v (velocity)

v=square root of 2gh

Hope this makes sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free falling objects [ 1 Answers ]

I need all information on free falling objects:D

Freely falling objects [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a lot of trouble finding out a formula for this problem: a baseball falling takes 4.0s to go the last 20meters before it smashes into the ground. What is the total height from which the baseball has fallen? I thought it would be something similar to y = Vot + 1/2 a*t^2 which...

Free Falling Objects [ 1 Answers ]

The question states: Someone throws a ball straight down to to the floor. If the ball bounces straight up and returns to the floor 2.5s after first striking it, what was the ball's greatest height above the floor? I have no idea how to go about answering this question. If anyone can help, that...

View more questions Search