Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flintstones1962 Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Sep 18, 2005, 11:53 AM
    Network path not found!!
    Hello,
    I've installed a fresh windows 2003 server, and created just one user for testing purpose, and shared one directory on a different partion on the same hard disk.

The problem is :

I can log in with the user administrator from the workstation "WIN-XP running the latest update from Microsoft", and I can MAP the directory I've shared.

But when I log in to the server with the other user I've created myself, I can't map the that directory and I get an error "network path not found".

In my "network Place" I can search and see the shared directory, but again I can't map it.

Any reason for this problem...

Greetings
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2005, 07:08 PM
    Are you trying to map a directory on the same machine? Don't think you can do that. You can only map a folder on a remote machine.

Sep 19, 2005, 01:32 AM
    No
    Hello

No, I try a shared directory on the server and not on the local machine.

Sep 19, 2005, 05:11 AM
    What happens when you try to Map it? What exact steps are you taking?

Sep 19, 2005, 10:34 AM
    Steps are simple...
    Hello,
    As simple -> my computer -> tools -> map metwork drive
    And from my network places -> search active directory -> browse all the shared resources and I can see it

Then when I try to map it , I receive that error.

Greetings

Sep 19, 2005, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintstones1962
    Hello,
    As simple -> my computer -> tools -> map metwork drive
    and from my network places -> search active directory -> browse all the shared resources and I can see it

then when I try to map it , I receive that error.

Greetings
    Ok, I don't use Active Directory, so I'm not sure if that has a bearing on the problem. What I would try is one of 2 things.

1) From My Network Places select Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network. Then select the Server name and then the shared resource

2) From Map Network Drive screen (before you Browse) just type in the folder path in the form:

\\servername\sharename

See if either of those methods allow you to map. If they do, then its an issue with Active directory.

Sep 19, 2005, 10:45 AM
    I tried almost everything...
    Hello,
    I've tried almost everything and it didn't work.

Greetings
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 19, 2005, 11:47 AM
    Check the share permissions on the folder on the server. You have to have appropriate permissions on both "sharing" and "security" tabs. This is why you can access the folder as administrator but not the other user!

Sep 20, 2005, 05:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintstones1962
    Hello,
    I've tried almost everything and it didn't work.

Greetings
    Did you specifically try what I suggested? If so what happened when you did?

Stu also has a good suggestion to try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The network path was not found [ 12 Answers ]

I try to connect my laptop to the desktop at home, after connecting all the required wires, the internet sharing is working, I can using the laptop online. The problem is when I clicked "My network place" I could not see both computers, therefore I cannot shares all the files from both...

Is he leading me up the garden path? [ 13 Answers ]

Help!! I'm hoping you can give me some advice and feedback! Some months ago, I wrote about a guy who broke up with me (see link below) Well, he has reappeared in my life, and I'm a little confused. I'll try to keep this simple. Since the amicable breakup (I was upset, but got on with things), we...

Correct career path? Need advice [ 4 Answers ]

For a long time I have wanted to be a fashion designer. I'm afraid that I might not be successful both financially and spiritually. Sometimes I feel like I don't have the abilities to make it. Have I chose the correct career path? Please give me some advice.

Network Path Not Found [ 1 Answers ]

I setup ADSL modem+router+firewall from one client computer on win 2003 domain server. Internet sharing is working fine within the network with IP class 192.168.16.x But the problem raise when I want to browse the mapping drive that had been set on the client computer I set the ADSL modem. I got...

View more questions Search