Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cowboys Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 09:18 PM
    leveling the ground for a shed
    I know this is stupid but I really don't know. How do you level the ground for a 12X20 shed?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 12, 2007, 05:24 PM
    lucky for you its not very big. First you going to need to get some stakes and string and some batter boards. Which are just 1x4s, level or plum line will be needed a shovel, tape measure

are you pouring concrete for the shed? I will assume so.
    you need to first square up the where you plan to set the shed, or build the shed.
    if you don't know how to square it up, tell me and ill give you simple explanation of how to do this,

pick a location and drive your first stake in the ground and then measure out 12 or 20ft which ever you want to start with, and drive another stake, leave about a 1ft of the stake above the ground so you can mark the level line later,
    after you have all 4 stakes drove in the ground start from the low side of the yard and measure up 4" and level across 12" and make a mark, (instead of a mark I will just wrap the string around the stake at the level point for future reference.
    to level across you'll need a plum line, unless you have a long straight edge you can lay a level on.
    after this use the line level on the 20ft length, you then can measure down to see how much dirt you need to take out to make it level. It doenst have to be perfect as long as the batter boards are level you can just pour to the top of the batter boards and it will be level.

on my building I built I didn't level out the ground as much, and the result was a 13" thick pad in the back of the building.

if your ground isn't sloping bad id just remove the grass from that area and form up a frame to keep your concrete in and pour it.
    Longhorn1990 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Comment on glavine's post
    Start from the low side of the yard and measure up 4" and level across 12" and make a mark... WHAT IS... AND LEVEL ACROSS 12"??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leveling a spot for pool [ 2 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to get a spot in the yard level for an above the ground pool? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

New Shed Wire [ 10 Answers ]

Built a new shed want to run a wire to shed to run 2 outlets 2 inside lights and an outside light I want a switch to ouside light in house and also in shed. I am going to use 12/2 wire encased in pcv pipe buried at least a foot in ground. I need to know how to wire this up and also can I pull the...

Wooden shed [ 2 Answers ]

I have a large wooden shed by my house we just had a tree cut down I would like to move it to the back of the yard what's the best way to move one of these sheds

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

Wiring a shed [ 2 Answers ]

I just finished building a storage shed and want some electricity out there... what type of wiring and cost would it be to run 30-40 feet or wire?what other materials am I going to need? Thanks for any suggestions... later

View more questions Search