Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bucknjude Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Microsoft Vista
    Has anyone besides me had problems understanding the Microsoft Vista programs? I purchased a Dell computer that had it already in the system. I cannot do anything except search the web and play games. I have a warranty with Dell, but for the life of me I cannot understand their techs from India and I get no where when trying to tell them what I need. I tried Microsoft and they refer me back to Dell. Does anyone know if there is a instruction book for Vista? I couldn't find anything on the Microsoft site. The Geek squad offered to come to my house for a tidy some of $159.00 an hour. There has to be a cheaper way. I previously had Windows 98. Any suggestions, before I throw my computer out in the street?
    blaze5874 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Sep 10, 2007, 06:41 PM
    Ok, first off Vista is actually very similar to Windows XP. Of course since you previously had Windows 98 you're getting a huge upgrade right now. Something you need to give information on is what you're trying to do. That would help so I could hopefully give you some details. However, if it's basic operation of your system then I would recommend you check out this site. It's hosted by Microsoft and it has some good information on Vista.

Windows Vista: Help and How-to

Sep 10, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Thank you for your reply. What I am looking for is a manual that will show me why I cannot download programs such as "Active X, Yahoo Jukebox (This I have paid for and cannot use yet.), Java and others. I am hard of hearing an have a real hard time trying to understand the technicians at Dell. Most are from India.

Sep 11, 2007, 07:13 AM
    OK, something new with windows Vista is that every time you want to install something, change a system Setting, or do anything else that would normally require you to be computer administrator a box will now pop up asking you are you sure you want to do this. Are you getting this box? Because I've heard of people trying to do this but for some reason the computer doesn't query them to ask if they want to allow this to happen.

Another thing, are you the owner of the system. For instance is it YOUR computer or is it your parents computer and you just have an account on it?

Sep 11, 2007, 01:38 PM
    It is my personal computer. I am the only one using it. Yes, I do get the pop up box, but after I download a new program a new box pops up and says the dowmload can't be completed. Such as Active X and Yahoo Jukebox. Also the Java download. I cannot email Microsoft as it says my system won't allow it. The same with trying to get help from the Yahoo programs. I have heard there is a book called Vista for Dummies. Would this help me?

Sep 11, 2007, 04:03 PM
    I can't guarantee one of those books would have the solution to your problem but it is a chance. Most people think those books are something insulting like if you read it you're an idiot. However, these books are packed with good information that any average user would find helpful.
    always_learning Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Sep 12, 2007, 04:50 AM
    Hi,

I bought this book because I am not an idiot but I am not a professional. I think you will find your answers here:

Windows Vista for Starters: The Missing Manual

Windows Vista for Starters: The Missing Manual
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2007, 06:15 AM
    The Dummies series of books is pretty good. But it seems your problems are more with configuring Internet Explorer than Vista specifically. You might try reducing the security settings under Tools>Internet Options.

We may also be of help, but you need to be more specific about the problem, Tell us exactly what you are doing and what happens when you do it. Exact error messages or prompts will be helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Microsoft xp home edition and Microsoft xp [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know how I can delete one of it so that I am able to use one properly. When I was re-installing XP home edition, I couldn't delete the partition (C) which contained another XP. Now I have two and thus a little bit confused. Can anyone help me with providing some...

Using vista on XP [ 14 Answers ]

HI, I wanted to know whether I can use Vista ultimate on my system which is currently running XP SP2. If yes then how do I switch between two OS.

Chinese in ms vista [ 1 Answers ]

Please help... I have installed chinese PRC on my vista but not able to read chinese char.. they appear as funny chars... please advice

XP to Vista [ 1 Answers ]

Ok This is the situation Old Computer - Windows XP Home OE6 New Computer - Windows Vista - Microsoft Mail I saved all of the .dbx in OE6 (Including Folders.dbx) -I put all of the .dbx's on a CD-R disk -Copied Them To A Folder In Documents On Vista -I Ensure that the files are not read...

To Vista or not to Vista that is a question... [ 9 Answers ]

Does your machine have what it takes to run Windows Vista. Find out HERE with this excellent online tool. (ActiveX is needed for this test) Now personally I will be running Vista on a test box. Hey I've got to at least try and break it, but there is no way it will be on any of my live machines...

View more questions Search