Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vivia12 Posts: 143, Reputation: 15

Aug 5, 2009, 11:49 PM
    Thanks Tal, Friend and CF! I am getting help for this,my therapists is trying to get me focused more on my career and where I'd really want to live,which is not in this junk town. As for contact I can't say that I can shake it,I feel lits like a sickness, I go back get dissapointed,go back,I've been thinking of joining some kind of AA or Coda group because I admit this is unhealthy. Every time I talk to him I feel like an empty well,he gets to be casual imepersonal,I get to still want him.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 11:58 PM

That's the thing , you know every time you speak to him it's going to hurt.

How many times would you hit your thumb with a hammer until you stopped.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 12:24 AM
    I don't want to totally never speak to him again since he does reach out to me;However,I don't want to just be the ear piece or person he vents to about life or chitchat about impersonal stuff (breadcrumbs if you ask me) when deep inside I want more,and I realize that I'll never get it from him. I feel like a woman lost in a desert trying to get water,all I get is drops or a mirage.
    I don't think that you can do both. You just can't. You're just letting this unhealthy connection drain you.

Clearly this obsession is affecting your emotional and mental health and you need to stop. You know this. It's bad for you and it's stopping you getting on with your life.

You don't need a relationship to forget him, you need to connect with yourself again. Somehow the relationship with your ex has left you unhealthily connected to him and disconnected from yourself. You need to metaphorically clear your mind of this man and disconnect from the ties that bind you to him.

Stop contacting him. Change your number, email, Facebook (whatever), so he can't contact you.

Stop thinking of yourself as a potential couple and think of yourself as an individual. A relationship won't solve your core problem, which is a sense of disconnection from yourself. In order to connect with your 'self' you need to find that person again.

Try to find some joy in your life, loneliness is a state of mind not a state of being.

Take pleasure in a nice day, the birds singing, the smell of flowers. Spend time with people that you care about that know you and will nurture you. Eat a lovely meal and focus on tasting the food. Clean your house, open the windows and let the fresh air in. Buy some new bedding and revel in the feeling of the fresh sheets. Buy yourself a nice dress and make yourself beautiful. Join a book group, go to the movies - take an interest in people and in life.

Eventually your own interests and life will take over and he will fade in importance. But, you must stop contacting him. Just do it. Bite the bullet. For yourself.

Aug 6, 2009, 12:36 AM
    Wow Gemini, your answer is unbelievable, and of course I appreciate the other responses. I know that this situation is off kilter that it is draininng me and yes some of it is due to loneliness. I always thought a cure would be to meet someone or better move to the big city. Another poster urged me to make female friends,to me that's just as elusive as getting a boyfriend.
    You call them they don't call you back,your invisible as soon as they meet someone. Really! I have this friend,well I thought she was,I literally have to beg her to hang out just for a few minutes,but to no avail. Other so call friends do the same,but they'll quickly be available to whatever guy there's with.
    I hate the fact that I'm stuck and he has way moved on and has me as the fallback girl on the side , a role I cemented by not letting go.
    Yes Friend4u that hammer is hurting my thumb hard though its familiar but uncomfortable.
    Hmm,nice bedding sounds tempting.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 12:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vivia12 View Post
    wow Gemini, your answer is unbelievable, and of course i appreciate the other response,i knew and sensed somehting is off kilter that it is drainingn me and yes it is due to loneliness. I always thought a cure would be to meet someone or better move to the big city. Another poster urged me to make female friends,to me thats just as elusive as getting a boyfriend. You call them they dont call you back,youre invisible as soonas they meet someone. really! i have this friend,well i thought she was,i feel like i have to beg her to hang out just for a few minutes,but to no avail.
    I really appreciate this,i hate the fact that i'm stuck and he has way moved on bu has me as the fallback girl on the side thati put myself there.
    Yes Friend4u that nail is hurting hard though its familiar.
    One thing,whats a Boo group?
    Sorry, I edited the spelling mistake a bit later - hah! A book group...

Aug 6, 2009, 12:56 AM
    Thanks gemini, I quickly edited mine after I saw yours, I wouldn't mind a Boo group,there's lots of ghost humters in LA. I'll try your advice, I read somewhere that people with addictions is trying to fill a void in their lives. I understand that void perfectly,I have to realize that he is not the answe,
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 01:16 AM
    Thanks gemini, i quickly edited mine after i saw yours, i wouldnt mind a Boo group,theres lots of ghost humters in LA. I'll try your advice, i read somewhere that people with addictions is trying to fill a void in their lives. I understand that void perfectly,i have to realize that he is not the answe,
    There is a really old book called "Cutting the Ties that Bind", it has a great mental exercise in it with a figure 8 which assists you to cut the energetic ties that bind you to a person.. .

This is a link to a website that talks about it..

Sealed With Love - Cutting The Ties That Bind

PS I love the idea of a boo group! The mind boggles.
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

Aug 6, 2009, 05:47 AM

Please take me to the BOO club as well! I am sure that would make me forget about work after work! :D

Excellent posts Gemini!!

Aug 6, 2009, 07:57 AM
    Thanks Gem,I'll definitely read that article,always looking for good things to read instead of "men Who Can't Love"!
    Okay CF you are one of the first Members of the Boo club! That really sounds fun plus I really appreciate talking to both of you,online support is just as important. Say,maybe we can talk about ghost and paranormal sighting or stories of them,Louisiana's old plantations and New Orleans are ghostly central. Gemini Are there plenty of ghostly activities in Australia?
    This is really really cheering me up immensely! :)
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 08:00 AM

Viva, Girl, you just have to stop.

Get off that emotional roller coaster. Only YOU can stop it.

Be like Smokey the Bear, "Only YOU can prevent emotional roller coasters." Get off the track.

I've had to do the same thing at one time... you just stop. Make the decision and act on it. Don't let yourself cheat your own heart.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 04:01 PM
    Thanks Gem,i'll definately read that article,always looking for good things to read instead of "men Who Can't Love"!
    okay CF you are one of the first Members of the Boo club! that really sounds fun plus i really appreciate talking to both of you,online support is just as important. Say,maybe we can talk about ghost and paranormal sighting or stories of them,Louisiana's old plantations and New Orleans are ghostly central. Gemini Are there plenty of ghostly activities in Australia?
    This is really really cheering me up immensely!!:)
    Well Australia is one of the oldest continents in the world, so there is lots of 'booing' going on here! The Aboriginal Dreamtime has many stories of unearthly beings - mind you New Orleans and its voodoo traditions sound pretty spooky!
    Starry nights Posts: 213, Reputation: 104

Aug 7, 2009, 04:54 AM
    Thanks Gem,i'll definately read that article,always looking for good things to read instead of "men Who Can't Love"!
    okay CF you are one of the first Members of the Boo club! that really sounds fun plus i really appreciate talking to both of you,online support is just as important. Say,maybe we can talk about ghost and paranormal sighting or stories of them,Louisiana's old plantations and New Orleans are ghostly central. Gemini Are there plenty of ghostly activities in Australia?
    This is really really cheering me up immensely!!:)
    Hey,see,there's a total difference in your tone when you write about your ex and when you just loosen up and write about other stuff.

I think that's your cue--spread your wings and fly,check out newer horizons and widen your vistas.If reading about "ghostly activities" is cheering you up,then so be it.Maybe you can try your hand in exploring that area,read and write on it,maybe even form a funny little group where you can exchange funny stories and all that.

Once you start opening up and exploring the world,there's no end to what you will find around the next corner.

You want to waste all that moping for a guy who's maybe lapping it all up while you sit in the dark confines of your room?

Vivia,just go VIVE(live,in espanol),laugh your guts out,sing,dance,go crazy.You have only one life and you want to make it a HAPPY,COLOURFUL one.

Aug 7, 2009, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry nights View Post
    Hey,see,theres a total difference in your tone when you write about your ex and when you just loosen up and write about other stuff.

I think thats your cue--spread your wings and fly,check out newer horizons and widen your vistas.If reading about "ghostly activities" is cheering you up,then so be it.Maybe you can try your hand in exploring that area,read and write on it,maybe even form a funny little group where you can exchange funny stories and all that.

Once you start opening up and exploring the world,theres no end to what you will find around the next corner.

You want to waste all that moping for a guy who's maybe lapping it all up while you sit in the dark confines of your room?

Vivia,just go VIVE(live,in espanol),laugh your guts out,sing,dance,go crazy.You have only one life and you want to make it a HAPPY,COLOURFUL one.

I like that Vive! I do try to venture out and do other things but as usual old habits die hard and I do check if he called or IM me and nope, nothing since Monday,I guess he is lapping it up. Countless of times I ask myself why should I care so much about a guy who chose to be with someone else? even if its convenient or not,still it's the same,I wasn't the one.
    I'm planning on going to see my dad in Chicago soon so believe e I am so looking forward to getting away. Interesting Gemini said there Australia's an old continent imagine the ghosts lurking about,I do like to explore other things,at least to keep me occupied but have been just feeling stuck,but not to any dark confines in my room-apartment at least I'm good about that

Oct 15, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Would a dumper/Player treats his current girlfriend better?
    Threads merged

Hi everyone!

I haven't been here for a spell,I have a question that has been haunting me,so I thought I'd ask here.Do people chose who they will treat decently and who they will treat like trash,

For example,would a dumper who treated his exes like trash,and who is basically a player who strings women online or offine along,discard them like trash and can at times can be verbally abusive Does he/or she acts poorly that way whomever their with better?
    Or is it a part if their character flaws,how does that work?

Most of my friends believe that this kind of person will be the same to his current flame,that's who they are regardless,but I however disagree,I believe a dumper would never treat his current girlfriend like trash,not if he seems committed in a form of shacking up with her but that's another story.
    I just need some honest opinions or perhaps some experiences in that matter. I'm sure I'll get a couple of "Who cares' or 'it doesn't matter' but it doesn't hurt to ask,especially if one wants to better her or himself in order to not attract another ambivalent non caring person (basically a Jerk) again. Thanks!
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 01:44 PM

Wow, has something happened to make you ask this question?

Oct 15, 2009, 01:52 PM
    A series of things happened since my last posts,but I'm on NC,well I have no choice since he bolted on me for good anyway. But this question has been plaguing me so I'd thought I'd ask
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 02:14 PM

People do choose how they treat others- how we're treated by them usually has some say in how we treat them back. Most people don't follow the golden rule of "treat others how you want to be treated." The reason why is because humans are very selfish.

Whoever this person is you're talking about he is probably bipolar- bipolar means he will have anger spells, bad behavior, and become enraged out of the blue- but he also has the ability to be very nice, and show a great personality, which is why his significant others will stick around.

If he was dumping girls left and right and you stumbled upon him, I would question how much I want to risk for a relationship with this guy, and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Be very cautious with your relationship with this guy (even if you've already broke up and are trying to get over it- the guy is still there, and if he was verbally abusive and treated you wrongly, you'll want to watch out in case he makes any attempts to get back together, wants to get back at you for leaving him, becomes jealous of any other guys you might be seeing, or becomes stalkerish.) If you're still with him, you should probably look into his past relationships, and test how much you trust, love, and respect each other. a.k.a. don't rush, and don't dive in head-first.

To answer your last question, in order to avoid attracting a stalkerish guy is to begin to send out better signals to guys. Guys are already attracted to you if you're a single girl- you just have to make the attraction positive. Don't run around showing your cleavage and your legs or you will attract guys who want your cleavage, and your legs. If you're a modest, respectfull, confident woman, who respects herself, you will attract loving men who want to respect you. Guys choose who they want to be in a relationship with- but what guys think of you, is up to you.

Another good idea is to not go dating for anyone until you are ready to get married. Either you will get married to a man, or you will break up with him (there's no other option.) If you want a relationship to last, both of you should go into it with the intention of marriage.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 04:44 PM

Hi Vivia

As they say a Leopard doesn't change it's spots , I believe once a player/abuser they will remain the same in the long run.

They may pretend to be someone else in the Honeymoon period of a new relationship , but they can only pretend for so long.

That's just my opinion.
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 05:22 PM
    I think the best indication of a person's current and future behavior is their past behavior. If they have treated their Ex GF's like trash sooner or later they will begin to treat their current GF like trash. This is their pattern and their personalty type.

Abusers are essentially selfish - they are moody, self centered and defensive. They are also intolerant, aggressive and demanding. In the first romantic flush of a relationship these characteristics will not be obvious as they put you on a pedestal. Once you show that you are in fact human, and we all are, the pedestal comes crashing down. It's just a matter of time.

This sort of behavior is ingrained and difficult to shift. If you can see that a man has been abusive to his ex partners I would be extremely wary, not matter how nice he may seem to be. This is not good relationship material!

Jerks can sometimes be tolerated, abusers never should.

Oct 15, 2009, 06:36 PM
    Awesome answers thank you,I appreciate this very much,I really do!
    Jaime, is it possible,that is just too good to be true to date someone/anyone whose marriage minded, I guess that's what they mean from raising the bar
    Friend<you made very good points but sometimes it does feel like they single you out and that your e the recipient of their BS,that makes you think,hmm... I' sure they're not that way to their current flame,or that person would be out the door,just my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Contacts [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am 16 years old and my parents think Im mature enough to handel contacts, but I have an astigmatism and I know there are contacts for that but what are they exactly and what does the doctor do when you go to get them? Also I have black hair and pretty dark brown eyes and I wanted to get...

Ex contacts me for her own gain! [ 1 Answers ]

Me and my ex split up and she started dating a friend of the family that I knew! I bascially told her to leave me alone as she kept calling and txtin but she just wanted to be friends with me and felt a little guilty I recon! I told her it was all or nothing with me!! She chose the nothing! GOOD!...

Colored Contacts [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I'm thinking about getting colored contacts maybe dark green or blue but my skin tone is like a natural tan but a bit darker but I don't want any fake looking contacts that makes it look obvious that it's not my natural eye color. I'm not into copying celebrities but I liked Vanessa William's...

Illusions contacts VS Natural touch contacts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! Any one got any info on Illusions opeque colored contacts and Natrual Touch opeque colored contacts? Because I want to order some but my budget is very slim. The discroption of the contacts says that they provide depth to the eye... which gives off the illusion that they color you have is the...

View more questions Search