Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Madeline McCann
    I haven't followed this story too closely. Honestly, because this kind of story sickens my heart because I know that there is nothing I can do for her and most likely she met a horrible end.

I was wondering what the opinion was from those of you closer to the story. I see now where they are focusing attention on the parents similar to the Jon Benet tragedy here in the US some years back. Is it common for vacationing parents to leave toddlers and/or infants in a hotel room unattended?

Do you think this little girl will ever be found?
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 09:05 AM
    I am no closer than you, EM, but I have always thought, that it was odd for any parent to leave 3 children, esp 2 infants alone... I always thought there was more to the story, and While I am so sorry for the rest of the family and the little girl, I am fairly certain that the parents are hiding something...
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 09:08 AM
    I think they drugged here and all things considered it was the best possible thing that could have happened because then at least she died in her sleep, in her own bed and not at the hands of a monster or down a storm drain. That's why I want to believe her parents were arrogant enough to think they could sedate their children to enjoy a good night out.
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Oh, wow, I hadn't even thought of that...
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 09:34 AM
    The short news article in the paper today said they found her blood in the rental car. I guess that is why they are under suspicion now.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 09:36 AM
    The first I saw about this was on the news last night (I tend to go through big gaps between watching the news). I don't know how accurate the news was, but they said that it was believed that she still may be alive. They also said they found blood in the parents car. I don't know how accurate that is, having traveled all the way across the globe, but I hope she is okay. The news also said they (the parents) went back home.

I do know one thing for sure, I would not leave that vacationing spot without my child.
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Yes, the article I read yesterday said something about them renting that car after they reported her missing, so it doesn't add up... I think I read somewhere about them finding someone's blood in the apartment as well, but don't know if it was determined as her blood or not, I haven't followed that closely.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    I think they drugged here and all things considered it was the best possible thing that could have happened because then at least she died in her sleep, in her own bed and not at the hands of a monster or down a storm drain. That's why I want to believe her parents were arrogant enough to think they could sedate their children to enjoy a good night out.
    I am glad someone brought up this topic.
    I wanted to do it,but I wondered if there were any who have lost children may think me heartless for bringing it up.

But I agree with templelane,there is foul play.I am nowhere near,but I have been following the story on the news.
    From the very beginning I felt suspicious because most hotels will provide baby sitters if the parents wish so,but these did not.
    Another thing was that the parents were so much stressing on how they were coping without her,and asking whoever took her to return her (and at that time it wasn't even confirmed that she was abducted or not).

Another thing was they went travelling across europe to meet the pope and get his blessings,getting his blessings is not the issue but should they not be utilising that money on private investigators?And I am sure the pope would have prayed for them even without their presence with him.

I have read other stories of parents with lost children and most try to connect with other parents of lost chidlren,but these parents seem to hog the limelight and they never even mentioned other lost children or their parents feelings etc.

Sorry if I seem harsh,but I do think they have something to hide.
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 10:28 AM
    I thought the Papal visit was a bit much, too. I would be tearing Portugal apart until I found my daughter.

I hope she is alive, but don't believe she is.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Sep 11, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Here in the UK,most people are following this story.The McCann's are back home in Leistershire,England.Tonight on the news,it said a more high profile prosecutor had been brought into the case by the Portuguese authorities,and a judge has ten days from now,to decide what to do next.
    Something is very very wrong with this case.Most people,here in the UK,are sympathetic towards the McCann's,and say the whole thing is a "stitch-up".However,there is only one accused,and for legal reason's,I won't name him here,except to say his name is freely available should you wish to search.
    I hope Madeline is alive,and returned to her parents.Everyone is innocent,until proven otherwise.The DNA "test",is still under review here in the UK.That is the sample taken from their hire-car.However,we the public are only getting bits of info,and I'm sure that those officers deeply involved in this case,are holding back on what they really know,until the case goes before a Portuguese court.
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Sep 12, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    The first I saw about this was on the news last night (I tend to go through big gaps between watching the news). I dont know how accurate the news was, but they said that it was believed that she still may be alive. They also said they found blood in the parents car. I dont know how accurate that is, having traveled all the way across the globe, but I hope she is okay. The news also said they (the parents) went back home.

I do know one thing for sure, I would not leave that vacationing spot without my child.
    The blood found in the car should be taken with a grain of salt. That car was rented by the family 25 days after her disappearance. I find it hard to believe that they hid her body all that time, and then somehow managed to dispose of her body while under constant media surveillance.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 09:39 PM
    There is interesting story in the link below that details the parallels between this case and that of a very famous and very similar case that happened in Australia on 1980. Some of you may remember the Chamberlain case where a dingo took a baby whilst asleep in its tent with a sibling. The innuendo and false claims ruined this families lives forever.

It is quite an interesting read and the writer makes some good points about desperation shown by authorities as cases move on unsolved.

The usual suspects - World - smh.com.au

For me I'm undecided. But I think they better have a lot more than some DNA or blood found in a car that was rented 25 days after the child went missing.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Sep 12, 2007, 11:32 PM
    I saw a lot on the news about this late last night... it was saying that the police in Portugal hardly ever pass information on to the press - it's just not something they do, so the press rely on rumours and leaks to publish anything, thus, unless anything is reported to be said directly from the police it's not to be believed!

I think the whole thing is shocking, but it's another case of "little white girl syndrome" - many, many kids go missing all around the world every day but the way the press, especially the British press have had a field-day on this one is appaling... I mean sky news have a whole subsite dedicated JUST to this!

I hate to say this, but it's one little girl - far worse atrocities are going on in this world!

Saying that, I think parents should have some charges brought against them just for being so damn irresponsible and leaving a load of small children alone at night! I don't care how close they were or how many times they checked, that's just plain stupid!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 01:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iAMfromHuntersBar
    I saw a lot on the news about this late last night ... it was saying that the police in Portugal hardly ever pass information on to the press - it's just not something they do, so the press rely on rumours and leaks to publish anything, thus, unless anything is reported to be said directly from the police it's not to be believed!

I think the whole thing is shocking, but it's another case of "little white girl syndrome" - many, many kids go missing all around the world every day but the way the press, especially the British press have had a field-day on this one is appaling ... I mean sky news have a whole subsite dedicated JUST to this!

I hate to say this, but it's one little girl - far worse atrocities are going on in this world!

Saying that, I think parents should have some charges brought against them just for being so damn irresponsible and leaving a load of small children alone at night! I don't care how close they were or how many times they checked, that's just plain stupid!
    I agree with you... Sky News just runs this piece on all headlines...
    There are so many many missing children...
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 01:55 AM
    What's done is done those parents know more than there letting on we have seen no hysterics from them no melt down witch in itself is flipping odd.
    Sadly I do not believe the child is alive not after all this time the whole story has been patchy from the start I also do not believe that everything that could have been done was done at the beginning and why is there such a great gap in time from when the incident was reported and acted on and why was there flat not searched in the first place and why is the child's rabbit sat in her room when she was supposed to have it with her there's way to many little things that just don't shape up.
    The truth will out eventually I'm sure in the mean time there will be fish monguring galore until a body is found.
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

Sep 26, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    I haven't followed this story too closely. Honestly, because this kind of story sickens my heart because I know that there is nothing I can do for her and most likely she met a horrible end.

I was wondering what the opinion was from those of you closer to the story. I see now where they are focusing attention on the parents similar to the Jon Benet tragedy here in the US some years back. Is it common for vacationing parents to leave toddlers and/or infants in a hotel room unattended?

Do you think this little girl will ever be found?
    I've been following the story whenever they have updates, and although I believe her parents are idiots for leaving their children in the room unattended just to have a quiet dinner, there are several things that bug me about the investigation:

1) They say they found the child's blood in the apartment and the rental car that the parents rented almost a month after the child disappeared, but from working in a veterinary hospital, I can tell you that dead bodies DON'T bleed - even the cats we're doing necropsies on within 12 hours of dying! Who had the car when the little girl disappeared? (I think it's happenstance that the parents got the car that had her blood in it - unless someone at the rental company was involved and MADE SURE that would happen... )

2) Why didn't the police investigate her parents more thoroughly right from the start? Obviously the blood evidence would have been in the apartment on day 1 - and if they were going to dispose of a body, that would have had to have happened right away, so the car they were using at the time of her disappearance should have been impounded and searched IMMEDIATELY! (As with the JonBenet case another responder mentioned, I think the police botched it from the start and are now trying to cover their incompetence by implicating the parents.)

There have been a couple of instances here in Maine, which has the one of the lowest crime rates in the US, of children being followed all over a store by a pedophile who eventually, through patience, got the chance to steal the child away from it's parents right in public. If not caught before they managed to get out of the store, these people would have been overlooked by the police because they were here from out of state, so they wouldn't have been on the lists that the police would have been checking for pediphiles - and it turned out that a couple of them intended to take the child back out of the state before doing anything to the child. A patient pedophile could have seen Madeline on the beach in the afternoon, followed her and her parents back to the apartment - and simply waited until the parents made the mistake of leaving her alone. As evidenced here in Maine, it only takes seconds for someone to grab a child and disappear - and if her parents drugged her as was contended by the police, she wouldn't have made any noise to alert anyone as the children taken from the stores did.

In short, I have to agree - there are too many holes for anyone not directly involved to be able to know what really happened here - and I pray every day that she will be like the teenager recently recovered here in the states after he was abducted over 10 years ago. He was found alive because his abductor/abuser got greedy and kidnapped another young man to abuse.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Sep 26, 2007, 09:34 AM
    I just saw on the news that they have gotten a picture of a small child in morocco that could be her. A couple brought the picture back from their vacation. They are currently investigating the pic. They showed it on the news and it does look a lot like her. Honestly, I think the parents need to have the other children placed with responsible family members because they are not themselves.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Sep 27, 2007, 05:10 AM
    Yep, it's not her... just some olive-sellers daugter I'm afraid!
    bluebear3 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 08:44 AM
    I to have been following the story, I suppose most people would be, its on the news most days and all the daily papers here, are always publishing bits and pieces about it. Its hard to make comment on it without been shot down, What the parents did was very wrong leaving their children unattended, in this day and age you don't do that! But now they have to live with it for the rests of life. I do hope the little girl is alive and she is been looked after well. And they do find some hope that she is returned to them!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search