Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poodle141989 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 05:30 AM
    Date for sewing machine
    My dad has a montgomery ward sewing machine .It is an antique no doubt but I was wondering if anybody had a website to help me?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 09:43 PM
    It would help to know the year it came out, or the model number. A pic would also be helpful. :)

**EDIT** - Forgive me, I had a "blonde moment"... you want to know the date, right? The model number (if it is still on the machine) would be helpful. :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2007, 11:26 PM
    How old do you think that it is? I agree that if we were to have a model or serial number and/or picture that would really help.

It might be that it would not be possible to give an exact year of manufacture for your particular machine. Manufacturing companies have come and gone through the years. Sometimes the records that are kept with a particular company are lost or just not looked at as being of any value. Also, perhaps there might have been a fire in a building that would have destroyed all of the records. If you could provide a picture, then it might be possible to give you a general idea about certain years that machines that looked like yours were manufactured.

It seems that sewing machines that were sold by Montgomery Ward were manufactured for them by National Sewing Machine Company of Belvidere, IL. Even if the Montgomery Ward name is on the machine, it is most likely manufactured by someone else. Retailers, like Montgomery ward, usually do buy anything that they sell from a variety of manufacturers. Even grocery stores might put something on the shelves with their name on it, but it might be an entirely different company that manufactures the food item.

If your sewing machine looks anything like the one on the following site, it is truly a work of art. The mention of them being made for Montgomery Ward is also on the site.

The Non-Electric Sewing Machine, People Powered Sewing Machines, Not Just for the Amish

There is some interesting history about the National Sewing Machine Company.

The quote below is from the following site: American Sewing Machines

Governor A: Serial No. 2263543.
    This machine was made by the National Sewing Machine Company of Belvidere, Illinois which was formed in 1890 by the merger of the Eldredge Sewing Machine Company (est.1869) and the June Manufacturing Company (est. 1881). The firm appears to have specialized in producing badged machines for retailers. In 1953 it merged with Free Sewing Machine Co. but was unable to compete with imported models and the National Sewing Machine Company closed in 1957.
    Here is something else very interesting from the following site: Frequently Asked Questions On this site is an incredible wealth of information. It is worth checking out.

Who made my sewing machine?
    I heard about machines being "badged", what does this mean?

In the 1890 to 1940 period there was a fad with large retailers and mail order houses to sell "own brand" sewing machines.

To do this they entered into contracts with established sewing machine manufacturers who would supply standard models but with the name of choice substituted for the normal brand name.

ISMACS has records of nearly 5000 such "exclusive" names produced by half a dozen makers during this period.

The situation is further confused in that retailers might switch makers at the end of a contract period and the same name would then appear on a completely different machine by another manufacturer.

Shortly after WW2 the new Japanese sewing machine industry, funded by US aid, flooded machines into America and Europe.

Distributors in those countries gave them various western-sounding names to help sales.

In the period between 1890 and 1930 many German companies produced machines with no reference to their origin. This was because of a general mistrust of German engineering and, of course, poor public relations following WW1.

Their machines were distributed with non-Teutonic-sounding names.
    What you find on the following is also from the same site above. National Sewing Machine Company It is also worth checking out.
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2007, 11:29 PM
    On the bottom of this page, you will find links to questions that have been similar to yours. You might also want to check out the answers on them.

You could also do a search using the search feature at the top of this page for "sewing machine", with or without the quote marks. The results will be somewhat different from what you find on the bottom of this page.
    fireftnchick Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 16, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Anne Kusilek is a membe of Treadleon.net. She is considered a National sewing machine expert and has been collecting information to assist in providing dating for National sewing machines. She may not be able to be exact, but can possibly give you a range. She has wrote articles about older machines and currently does her very successful quilting business exclusively on a treadle sewing machine.

You can probably Google her name and come up with her articles.
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fireftnchick
    Anne Kusilek is a membe of Treadleon.net. She is considered a National sewing machine expert and has been collecting information to assist in providing dating for National sewing machines. She may not be able to be exact, but can possibly give you a range. She has wrote articles about older machines and currently does her very successful quilting business exclusively on a treadle sewing machine.

You can probably Google her name and come up with her articles.
    You are correct. Her name does come up very easily in Google searches. Using her as a resource would be a valuable asset here. And, since poodle141989 has not logged back onto this site since September 10, 2007 at 08:32 A.M. I hope that poodle141989 returns to see the answers here.

One site which contains articles by Anne about the National Sewing Machine Company is located below.

The Non-Electric Sewing Machine, People Powered Sewing Machines, Not Just for the Amish
    rebeccaalex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2010, 06:27 AM
    . I mean, I can fimd nothing on this machine... anywhere.
    Can you please help?Where can I find information about a Montgomery Ward 21 Jewel Signature automatic zig zag sewing machine? 2 Places I ran across referred to it as a URR

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewing machine [ 3 Answers ]

I have a singer model 457 I can not get the needle to pick up bobbin thread

Antique sewing machine [ 5 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not. I have an old(? ) treadle sewing machine in a fold-away wooden cabinet. It is a "Beaver" sewing machine and I have not been able to find any information on it at all. Can anyone help me with finding out how much it is worth, or where to...

1883 Sewing Machine [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I purchased at auction a coffin top 1883 sewing machine. I cannot find any information on the internet concerning a "Farmers Alliance" sewing machine. I assume this is not a singer. I would appreciate any information. Thanks ljcsd456

Old sewing machine [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old black electric sewing machine in wooden cabinet with the brandname UNIVERSAL (made in Japan). I do not know how old it is but would like to know how to find a manual for it and also an estimate of the value. I have been unable to find any info on this brand anywhere. Please help

Domestic sewing machine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a domestic sewing machine . The numbers on the needle bar is 1858 40 . This is a treadle sewing machine. I am not interested in selling it but would like to know the year it was made. If anyone could help that would be great!! Thank-you in advance.

View more questions Search