Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    psuag Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 03:33 PM
    100 amp service vs. 200 amp service
    :) I am looking at a small (totally remodeled home) with 100 amp service. I always thought it was better to have 200 amp. I will live there alone. Does this mean I can't run the dryer and microwave at the same time?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 9, 2007, 04:22 PM
    No, it means you can't run 4 microwaves while running 3 dryers, while your pool pump is running.

Most older homes had only 60 amp service originally, then the 100 amp which was standard for years and years And is fine for a standard home, you can run your electric heat pump, your dryer, your electric stove and the TV all off a 100 amp service.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2007, 04:52 PM
    A service is sized according to the total square footage of livable space, along with mandatory and desired loads. Let me know the total square feet of livable space, not including garage, attic, porches, include basement if it can be finished into livable space. Also list all major electric appliances, type of heat, and water heater, and size of air conditioning, and I can do the calculations.
    psuag Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 05:17 PM
    The house is 2.5 BR (has a loft- that is the .5) and one bath. Gas range and forced air gas heat. 1200 SF. Has electric central air. Hookups for the stackable W/D are electric. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Susan
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 9, 2007, 07:07 PM
    I think TK will be telling you to save your money and keep what you have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running two 100 amp main panels from a 200 amp service [ 27 Answers ]

Greetings! I live in a rural country area. The electric company will be installing a pole, meter, and 200amp service with disconnect at pole. (It will require 50 foot run of service cable from pole to main load center in mobile). Currently the double wide has a General Electric 100amp Main...

Running 100 amp service panal 200 ft away from main 200 amp service [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking to find out how big the wire needs to be to carry the load. This will be a 100 amp service coming from a 200 amp main . It will need to travel 200 to 250 ft underground to a barn. If some one could help me that would be great thaxs)))

Do I need 200 AMP service or is 100 AMP enough [ 1 Answers ]

I have purchased a new home (not built yet) near Toronto, Canada. The standard service is for 100 AMPs. An upgrade to 200 AMPs is available for $800. I don't want to spend the money if I don't need to. I will have electric washer/dryer, stove, fridge, dishwasher, and central air. The...

Using 100 amp panel on 200 amp service [ 5 Answers ]

I am building new camp at a site that already has 200 amp service. My power requirements are small and 100 amp will be more than sufficient. Is there any reason I cannot hookup a 100 amp panel to the 200 amp meter socket? Not sure is code allows this. I want to use a small 100 amp panel vs the...

100 amp service vs. 200 amp service [ 5 Answers ]

The house I just bought was built in 1952. It's a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom with the standard screw in fuses (total amps unknown). Presently I'm doing a remodel. Adding a third bedroom & extra bathroom, washer & dryer, dishwasher, newer & larger refrigerator, bigger microwwave, probably 3 window air...

View more questions Search