Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    romy Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Sep 9, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Wrong lead ?
    I have an amazing top class 14.2hh show pony that has been to hoys & everything...
    But recentley he has been striking off on the wrong lead . The strange thing is he only takes the wrong leg on the wright rein & always takes the correct lead on the left rein
    Ive got serious competitions coming up & he coul do so well!
    romy
    ntroyn Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

May 14, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Have you changed saddles recently, or has his build and/or weight changed or has there been a change in the type or amount of work he's been getting? Often, if a horse/pony doesn't want to pick up a certain lead it's because something is bothering him/her which is causing him/her to prefer not to go into that lead. I'd check the pony on the lunge without a saddle and see if he/she picks up the proper lead and maintains it with no problems on both sides. If that's the case, and the problem only appears when he/she is under saddle, than it most likely is a tack fit problem or something the rider is doing. If you suspect it's a rider problem, you can always have someone else ride the pony a few times and see if they have the same problem. Most likely, though, if the problem only shows up under saddle, the saddle is probably impinging on the side of the shoulder on the problem side. If he/she throws up her head when he/she does go into the canter on that lead, than I'd definitely think it was a saddle problem. All this, of course, is precluding any sort of lameness problem, back injury, etc. which could be causing the difficulty, but, again, this should show up on the lunge, and not just under saddle.
    Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrong lead ? [ 2 Answers ]

My 14.2 show pony keeps taking the wrong lead in the wright rein but never in the left . Its really confusing me & I've got big comprtitions coming up ! Please help ! romy

Wrong place at wrong time [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend...

Lead pipe [ 1 Answers ]

How do I fix a leaky lead pipe?

How thick is the lead in a lead joint [ 2 Answers ]

Im getting ready to take the Indiana pluming test and I was wanting to know how thick the lead Is suppose to be in the hub of the cast iron.

Lead piping [ 6 Answers ]

I think I have lead piping in my bathroom. Wanted to know if I could used a compression fitting to do a lead to copper joint. And does anyone know if I could use normal copmression fittings on the lead pipe because I want to add a valve.

View more questions Search