Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkennedy99 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Sep 8, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Is this mold?
    I was in my basement today, which is unfinished. The exposed wood is covered with a pastic sheet. I noticed on some of the boards there is a black film. Is this mold? It has been humid where I live and maybe the plastic over the wood created a mold growth situation? If this is mold, do I simply scrap it off, or should I treat it with something? Thanks, Joe.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Sep 9, 2007, 08:41 PM
    More than likely it is mold/mildew. The plastic is keeping moisture in and not letting the joist breath.
    Why is there plastic over the joist? Dirt floor?

You can clean it off with a diluted bleach solution.
    jkennedy99 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Sep 10, 2007, 06:41 AM
    The basement is poured concrete. There was plastic all the way around the joists in the basement when I moved it. I just thought is was for a protection. Sounds like I should tear that plastic down. Thanks for the help, Joe.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 10, 2007, 07:17 AM
    You should remove that plastic from the joists. I'd also try to vent the basement or add a dehumidifier. You can just scrap off mold. You can make a 1:3 mix of bleach and water or buy a professional mold/mildew spray. Spray liberally and allow to air dry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting mold out of leather [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, but it doesn't seem to fit in any other category. In my apartment, I am discovering that there is moisture coming in through the floor somewhere, because I have two pairs of leather sandals that were on the floor of my closet, and as...

Mold [ 6 Answers ]

Hello my basement is unfished... last year we decided to put up blue stryaphone isolation over concrete walls... I am worried about mold because it is in a basement of an old farm house... if mold should grow behind the 1 inch blue styraphone is there anyway to know... thank you

Mold [ 1 Answers ]

I have been renting a house for 2yrs, about 8months ago we called our landlord and told him there was mold in our bathtub. He owns a contracting business, and sent one of his guys out to fix it. He only fixed half the problem and the mold grew back. We have called our landlord several time and...

Possible mold [ 1 Answers ]

We have an eight year old home with a day light basement. I have noticed some yellow spots on the bottom of the walls in two of the closets in the basement. If this is mold what can be done?

Mold [ 1 Answers ]

What will mold the fastest? Unrefrigerated cheese or bread? And approximately how long will this process takes?

View more questions Search