Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    belle2929 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2005, 06:50 PM
    Biting puppy
    We brought home a beagle/hound mix puppy that was abandoned near my husbands work. We took her to the vet and she has been dewormed, defleaed and had her first shots (she is 12 weeks old). She was pretty thin when we brought her home but is now coming along nicely and is putting on weight. (Unfortunatly we can't keep her... we have two pets and that is enough) We are in the process of training her for the next people who get her.. we will keep her until we find a suitable permanent home.

Anyway my problem is she is more of a biter than any other puppy we have had before... she is constantly biting.. we use NO BITING and NO... but her biting is hard and even at times almost defiant and deliberate..
    This bothers me as I know not everyone uses the no hitting rule... This could be her downfall for her next home... I want her to have as much training as possible before we find her a new place... any advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance... Belle2929
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2005, 06:59 PM
    Young Labs, which I know best, and other puppies tend to very bad about
    Biting. You see a litter of them, and all the ones that are awake are biting
    Another one or themselves. I am not even sure they realize that when they are
    Alone, if they quit biting, they would quit being bitten. At 3 to 4 months
    They are getting their adult teeth, and it seems they spend every waking
    Moment biting or chewing. I maintain a Lab's favorite chew toy is another
    Lab. Otherwise they settle for any person they can. They keep hoping to find
    One that won't yelp and jerk their hand away, or growl "Bad dog." and clamp
    Their mouth shut. Then offer a chew toy. They keep trying despite hundreds
    Of corrections. Another good technique is to quit playing and go away. Be
    Sure to praise them when they are playing nice and not biting.

You just have to keep on correcting them, hundreds of times, not dozens.
    Provide sturdy, safe toys such as Kongs and Nylabones. Avoid things they can
    Chew pieces off and choke on them. Keep them away from electrical cords.
    Crates are essential for most young Labs and other dogs.
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Sep 15, 2005, 03:00 PM
    I think you are wonderful for taking in this poor pup! Bless you.
    Landrail Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Sep 23, 2005, 06:23 AM
    When pups are playing and biting they usually give signals for each other when somebody's bite is too painful. They squeak. This means the break or the end of a play. So try to squeak every time when her bite is painful. I use this method 15 years.

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy Is Still Biting! Help [ 4 Answers ]

Thank you for the advice on trying to solve my problem with my puppy's(labxgsd - now 12wks) excessive biting. I have tried holding her front legs up from behind - it works but just for a short while, 10 minutes later she comes back to bite. I have had her from 6wks - she was not that bad before. It...

Dachshund Puppy biting [ 3 Answers ]

We have a new mini Dachshund Puppy. The problem we are having is she gets snippy with us. Sometimes when you pick her up she growls and bits at you. She has even bitten my daughters face. How do I stop this behavior? This is my first dog ever so I'm really in the dark about the training....

My puppy has a biting Problem! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 month golden retriever who we had for 1 month now, he has a biting problem, he bites us and when we try to get him off us he just gets more aggressive and just keeps biting harder. Just today I was outside and he (my puppy) was having a good time when all of a sudden he struck me and...

Puppy Biting [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 8 week old puppy. He is constantly biting at me and the kids. Help! How can we stop this ?

Puppy biting/chewing her fur [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old female westie. She has periodically chewed the fur on the front of her front legs. I've corrected her every time I've witnessed her in action. But I think she figured it out that she can chew when I'm not around and get away with it because now her front legs have bare spots...

View more questions Search