Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 8, 2007, 05:56 PM
    You know, you can either afford it or you can't. If you can't, bow out of it. She will either understand or she won't. And if she doesn't, then you have just learned something about her that you probably needed to know.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 05:58 PM
    That's very true. Thank you.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 05:59 PM
    It is possible, but would there be a reason why? Have you been fighting lately or anything like that (other than over this issue)?

Like Wondergirl said, she could just be becoming a Bridezilla. I hope not for your sake, because they look like they are extremely difficult to deal with.

Be honest with her. If you already have, do it again. Tell her that you are starting your business and thinking of your future, and this is an expense you just cannot afford. She will either understand, or she won't. If she doesn't understand, then I feel it is her loss. When it comes to spending money you cannot afford to spend, you really have to think of yourself as well as the bride.
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 8, 2007, 06:00 PM
    I hope she understands and your friendship stays in tact. If it doesn't, you are probably better off in the long run.
    I wish you the best.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Our friendship has been fine. She lives in NY and I lived there as well up until about 5 months ago and things between us have been okay. She is sort of flaky with calling and emailing but that's just her. I just never thought that something like a wedding could cause this much drama between the two of us.
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 8, 2007, 06:19 PM
    Weddings can make some women act a plain fool.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Isn't that bride paying for all in America? Why you are asked to pay for it Glinda?
    I might be wrong, but I thought Bride pays for everything.
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    Isn't that bride paying for all in America? Why you are asked to pay for it Glinda?
    I might be wrong, but I thought Bride pays for everything.
    Most of the time the members of the wedding party are responsible for paying for their own things such as dress, hair, nails, etc. If a bride pays for it, that is a very nice bride. :p
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    Most of the time the members of the wedding party are responsible for paying for their own things such as dress, hair, nails, etc. If a bride pays for it, that is a very nice bride. :p
    In Japan, it's the man's responsibility to PAY FOR EVERYTHING. What a culture difference here!:p
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:21 PM
    In Japan, it's the man's responsibility to PAY FOR EVERYTHING. What a culture difference here!:p
    Yes most definitely. :p
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Wouldn't that be nice then this would not even be a problem!

As an update she never called last night and did not answer when I called her nor has she returned my message. So now I have no clue what she is thinking
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    Wouldn't that be nice then this would not even be a problem!

As an update she never called last night and did not answer when I called her nor has she returned my message. So now I have no clue what she is thinking
    I hope everything goes well. Have you decided what you were going to do when she does decide to return your messages?
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:25 PM
    How much the new dress going to cost for you Glinda?
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:25 PM
    I'm going to tell her flat out that I simply cannot afford the dress and that if she wants me to be a part of the wedding party then she needs to pick a different dress or go back to what we initially agreed upon. If she refuses I will tell her that I will have to step down as Maid of Honor since I cannot honor what she wants at the wedding. I'm going to tell her that I hope that this doesn't damage our friendship but if she feels slighted there is nothing I can do about it.
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:27 PM
    How much the new dress gonna cost for you Glinda?
    Originally she just told me to get a dress in a wine/chambord color that was cocktail length and I could get it anywhere. Which meant that I could find something at a discount store for probably $50 - totally affordable.

The new dress is about $500 not including alterations, shoes, accessories, etc
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Good job. It sounds like you are going to do what is best for you, and that is the most important. :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    Originally she just told me to get a dress in a wine/chambord color that was cocktail length and I could get it anywhere. Which meant that I could find something at a discount store for probably $50 - totally affordable.

The new dress is about $500 not including alterations, shoes, accessories, etc
    :eek:

Holy cow, I didn't know it was going to cost that much. I wouldn't pay for it either.
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:31 PM
    $500? Even millionares have to think about it before buying it!

You have to be frankly that you can't afford it. I hope she understands it, if not... she is quite selfish then...
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Yeah its crazy. It just amazes me because we both used to complain about how blind brides get once they start doing all the wedding stuff. We used to really make fun of some of our girlfriends who would turn into total nutjobs its just sad that she become one of those nutjobs.
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 9, 2007, 05:17 PM
    The dress is $500.00? That is insane.
    See the way wealthy people do it, the bride pays for all of that stuff. MOH only does the shower.
    I would not ask someone to pay that kind of money for a dress that will only be worn once, especially if I have friends for whom I know it would be a struggle. That is just inconsiderate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maid Of Honor Toast needed quick.. HELP [ 1 Answers ]

I know it's the 11th hour, but my daughter is in desperate need for a short, cute and memorable Maid of Honor Toast for a wedding she is going to attend tomorrow (9/20). If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated. **She is Maid of Honor for her best friend.

I am getting sexually attracted to my maid [ 5 Answers ]

I am aged 39. We have a maid in our house who is also the same age. I am getting sexually attracted towards her day by day. Is there any way I can have a normal sex with her. I cannot take a risk of forced sex. Are there any means by which I can make her want sex. I am also afraid of giving her...

Matron of Honor under 18 [ 3 Answers ]

I am the matron of honor in my cousin's wedding. We didn't know if I would be able to sign as the witness on the marriage license at the wedding, even though I am under 18. Does anyone know about this? Thanks :)

Honor Father with a song [ 4 Answers ]

My father passed away 6 months ago and I am engaged to be married later in the year. We were very close, and of course I'm going to miss having him there on the wedding day. He and I talked about our father-daughter dance, but never picked a song. There are a couple of beautiful songs (for example,...

I just maid a mistake and broke up with her what do I do. [ 17 Answers ]

Threads merged Me and my Ex-girlfriend have been together for 2 1/2 years now. In the beginning like so many other relationships we were really into each other. With out having sex. When I met her she had an ex-boyfriend that she frequently visited in jail. I did'nt have a problem with it in the...

View more questions Search