Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joan Dearborn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2005, 08:32 AM
    Six Steps of Scientific Method
    What are the six steps of the scientific method?
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Jan 29, 2006, 05:31 PM
    Thank you for taking the time to post your question on the Ask Me Help Desk!

The scientific method is an organized way of helping us better understand the world around us.

Unfortunately, although just about every science text will talk about the scientific method, many of them talk about it a bit differently. This can cause some confusion as students progress through their educational careers.

I try to emphasize to my students the importance of the process and depending on the age level of the students, I will provide as many or as few steps as it will take for students to understand the procedure.

I actually give seven steps for my freshman classes.

1. State the problem
    2. Research the problem
    3. State the hypothesis
    4. Test the hypothesis
    5. Analyze the results
    6. State the conclusion
    7. Repeat the work

It is also important to understand that not every experiment will support a hypothesis but may reveal new questions that need to be answered.

My upper level classes focus on three parts.

1. Identify the problem
    2. Hypothesize
    3. Experiment

The other aspects are still talked about and are no less important but we simply focus on those areas. Keep in mind, though, that they have already visited the scientific method in my freshman classes in greater detail.

I hope that this information was helpful.
    scientific_method Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jun 25, 2007, 05:42 AM
    thank you for your nice answer...
    schoolgirl_101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 08:42 PM
    The steps to the scientific method are hard to remember.Im in middle school myself well here they are
    1.state the problem
    2.collect information
    3.form a hypothesis
    4.test the hypothesis

5.observe/record and analyze data
    6.state the conclusion
    7.repeat again
    :) hope I helped you
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Scientists don't really follow the scientific method in the way it's taught in school.

They become curious about something. They watch for a while (observe and gather information) and then form a specific question they want to answer. They guess an answer (form a hypothesis) and then think of a way to test the truth of that hypothesis (do an experiment or gather other data). The idea of an experiment is to try to prove your own hypothesis wrong, or "disprove" it. Or sometimes you do it the other way. You say the opposite of what you think is true and try to prove that's not true.

Let's say I was watching bears eating in a meadow and I thought they were eating grass. I would say "bears eat grass." That's my hypothesis. Then I have to be specific. Do I mean all bears always eat grass? Or do I mean only that some bears sometimes eat grass? I have to decide what I really mean before I can test the hypothesis. So let's say I decide that all bears always eat grass. In that case, I only have to find one bear eating berries to disprove my hypothesis. So I realize it's wrong because the next day I observe a bear eating berries.

How can I find out if some bears sometimes eat grass? I have to watch a lot of bears really closely. I could also look at their scat (Yuck!) to see if there are signs of grass that would show they ate grass.

And by the way, black bears do sometimes eat grass. They also eat berries, ants, termites, yellow jackets (a kind of wasp), and all kinds of other things, even a dish towel!
    tonypg13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Six simple steps:{not in order}problem,hypothesis,procedures,materials,conc lusion,results
    aapikz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 02:45 AM

Can you define each of this for me?
    I can't totally understand..

1. State the problem
    2. Research the problem
    3. State the hypothesis
    4. Test the hypothesis
    5. Analyze the results
    6. State the conclusion
    7. Repeat the work

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What are the first steps to get Sole Custody of my daughter [ 5 Answers ]

Im a single parent and have been for the past almost 10 years. My daughter will be 10 this year. Her father has not been around since I was pregnant and have no knowledge of his whereabouts. My daughter has asked to change her last name with no influence of my part. Now I would like to do this for...

Fixing Concrete Steps - Front Porch [ 3 Answers ]

It appears that the front step on my house has settled and dropped about 6 - 8 inches from where it was originally attached to the front of the house. The house is about 20 years old with a slanted front yard and this took place long before we moved in. Originally my plan was to just add another...

What tube steps look and work best [ 2 Answers ]

I want to put tube steps (not running boards) on my 2006 Toyota Tacoma crew cqb pre-runner, but don't want to spend that kind of money sight unseen. I've pretty well decided on full length black (probaby power coated). I'd like to hear from y'all on which brand looks best, stands up to daily use,...

Basement Shower Steps [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently putting a shower in my basement. The drain pipe has been roughed in, however, it is under the concrete slab. I know where the pipe is from the blueprints. Now I need to know the steps to follow to expose this pipe and install the drain. Any help you can provide would be great.

View more questions Search