Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Washington80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 11:31 PM
    Exercises for 80 yr. old
    What are good exercises for a 80 yr old female with a left hip replacement, which was done 4 months ago.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 01:21 AM
    --------------------------------------
    http://www.thephysiotherapysite.co.u...ilitation.html

Getting on with life

This is what hip replacement is all about, restoring a person's functional ability to do the normal things in life. Once the pain has gone and a ‘normal' joint has been restored, all normal day to day management tasks such as sleeping, walking, sitting, climbing stairs, personal hygiene and housekeeping should be possible.

Many people do not stop there and go on to take up or resume recreational activities they enjoy. This is entirely reasonable as long as sensible limits are observed. The new hip is not an exact copy of the original either in anatomical or functional terms.

Examples of sensible activities for someone with a hip replacement to perform are:using a static bicycle, swimming, walking, bowls, cross-country skiing and ballroom dancing.

Activities to be avoided may include high-impact sports such as jogging, tennis, squash, downhill skiing, extreme walking, football, rugby and basketball. A person may have the ability to perform these activities with a new hip but it is not wise to do so.

----------------------------------------------------
    http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz.../tp/arthip.jsp

How long does it take to recover from hip replacement?

Usually, people spend three to 10 days in the hospital after hip replacement surgery. Full recovery from the surgery takes about three to six months, depending on the type of surgical procedure performed, the overall health of the patient and the success of the rehabilitative program.
    ---------------------------------
    Hope these help you choose a form of exercise,but do remember to discuss with your doctor before approaching any form of exercise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need exercises ! [ 2 Answers ]

heyy well i really need help. im 5'2.5 && 138 lbs. i go to the gym && its helped greatly. about a year ago i weighed 160 lbs. but i just can't get rid of my belly && my inner thighs. i really need exercises that i can do without machines, like with the medicine ball or the workout ball because i...

Statistics Exercises [ 6 Answers ]

I need help with the following 2 excersises. Using the 5 steps of hypothesis testing and I need to show all calculations, Use the five-step procedure for hypothesis testing in the following exercises 12. The National Safety Council reported that 52 per cent of American turnpike drivers are...

Home exercises [ 3 Answers ]

What are some exercises I can do at home?

Pc or kegel exercises [ 1 Answers ]

Could anyone help me to know if there is any side-effect on PC or kegel exercise.

Exercises to do when you are overweight [ 3 Answers ]

My sister is very overweight around the middle but her back stops her from doing sit ups , she can't walk more than about 20 steps and she has to stop. She had back surgery 2 years ago and she is still in pain. She is 58 yrs old and has had panic attacks and anxiety attacks when you least expect...

View more questions Search