Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Conniefixit Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2005, 03:28 AM
    Tankless Water Heater venting
    Hello,
    Can anyone tell me why you need to use stainless steel pipe for venting on a tankless gas water heater. What would happen if you connected to existing galvanized steel? Any info would be appreciated.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2005, 08:04 AM
    Probably it has to do with the short cycles. The heater doesn't run long enough some cycles to heat up the pipe. Water would condense along with acidic components of the flue gas, and corrode galvanized more quick.

Have you made careful calculations on any savings from the system? How does your current gas usage in the summer compare with the claimed stand by loss? The pay back could be even longer if you have to rip out a galvanized vent and replace with stainless steel. If you locate a tankless heater where the old tank was, you will still have the same wait while running cooled off hot water down the drain. When you shut the water off, the pipe will be full of hot water, which will cool off, just as water out of a tank does. A slightly better insulated tank might be a much better investment.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 14, 2005, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Conniefixit
    Hello,
    Can anyone tell me why you need to use stainless steel pipe for venting on a tankless gas water heater. What would happen if you connected to existing galvanized steel? Any info would be appreciated.
    Good question Connie, simple answer.
    Galvanized will rust out in time while stainless won't. Regards, Tom
    Conniefixit Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2005, 01:05 AM
    Thanks for the answer. I thought it had to do with condensation and rust but I could never get a straight answer from the tankless manufacturer.
    In reply to your question Labman, I installed a tankless system for my friends almost 2 years ago and their gas usage has been cut in half.
    But we're in warm and dry So. California. Even though their old 50 gal. tank was insulated and located in a closet in a heated part of the home, it took almost 6 min. of continuously running the water before hot water got to the 3rd floor bath. Now they get hot water in 2 minutes. They couldn't be happier with the new system. Although the tankless was 3 times the cost of a replacement 50 gal, it was worth it for another reason besides the savings in gas and water-- they now no longer have to worry about the tank rusting out and leaking all over their new floor, which is why the old tank was replaced. Our water is so hard here in L.A. that unless the homeowner is dilligent about flushing out their tank every year, they are not going to get too many years out of it before rust out and leakage. .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tankless water heater [ 13 Answers ]

Tom, how are you doing? What are your thoughts on these tankles heaters? Are they really able to do the job of supplying all the hot water you need? I will have a large whirlpool tub, one shower, and the obvious other stuff. Washer, dishwasher, and sinks through out the house. Will they support...

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Tankless water heater issue [ 4 Answers ]

I recently replace my water heater with a tankless water heater. I purchase the Aquastar 250SX gas unit. The unit works great if I'm running hot water only. It will continuously give me hot water as long as I want it. However, when I want to reduce the tempurature by turning on the cold water,...

Tankless Water Heater [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking to install a GAS tankless water heater and I read that you need an area of 750 sq ft of combustable air for this unit I want to install. My question is; Does that mean that this has to be a wide open area because my basement is 1000 sq ft but it is framed out into 3 rooms. All rooms...

Tankless water heater-good or bad? [ 6 Answers ]

We are going to need our ancient water heater replaced soon. We have been considering the tankless ones. I understand you get instant hot water only when you need it. Are these worth the extra money or are we better off with a new regular one. Thanks.

View more questions Search