Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aleur Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 05:06 PM
    AC popping, not cooling house enough
    Hi. I am a housewife in need of help please. My living and dining rooms are not cooled enough during hot days. My main bedroom is cooled much better as cool air vents are nearest the AC unit. The living room space opens high to the ceiling and the loft, so it is quite a big space to cool. I can also hear some popping sounds whenever the condenser outside my house turns on. Is there a problem of my unit?
    Can somebody please advise me on what to check? I am good with following directions so I should be OK. Should I clean the outside unit by hosing down? The filter is always clean. I probably have 2 vents blocked, should I open them?

Thanks for your help.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Open your all vents. Ceiling fans would also help. Hose off the condensing unit coils. Just don't get water on motor or any other electrical patrs. Disconnect power first. I suggest calling in a tech for the popping noise. Possible electrical and not best for diy project.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 07:22 PM
    The noise you mentioned can be caused by the compressor. A scroll compressor is a little noisier that a recip compressor. So if you do have a scroll compressor you can expect it to be a little noisy when it turns on and turns off, a some what loud for just a second. And like esquire2 told you above all of your vents should be open in the summer time because you need the air going across the coil to keep it from freezing with ice therefore shutting down on your air. In the winter it is different you can close one or two of your vents when you are heating.

Sep 8, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Thanks so much. I will try to hose the coils. I already opened the vents. I will monitor today. Another concern I have is that the cool air that comes out directly from the vents is only about 66F. The bedroom is at 72F and the living room is at 81F. This was last night. The outside humidity is 57%, my living room is 58%, my bedroom is 62% and the cool air that comes out of the vent is at 83%!! Why is the cool air very humid? Do I have condensation? What can be happening? If I call a tech, I would like to understand first so they won't throw me so much techno babble and charge me $$$. Do you also know any estimates on how much it may cost me, please?
    I will keep monitoring today.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2007, 08:44 AM
    How old is the system? Did it used to work better with the vents closed? We have 3 of the 4 bedrooms in our house shut off, and the A/C works fine. Of course, they may have been shut off when the tech did the start up. It may have lost enough Freon that the coil is freezing up. I would try opening the vents. If that doesn't work, you will need to get a tech out next week. If it is low on Freon, it will be expensive. Not only does the government keep the price artificially high, I think the tech must find a repair a leak before adding Freon to the system. An older system may have multiple, small leaks. If the system is over 10 years old, the tech may not be ripping you off if he says it isn't worth fixing.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 01:40 PM
    If you feel that you need a tech to check things out get a name from friends or someone that you know that has had work done lately and find out who they used and if they were satisfied. I actually believe that most technical people are basically honest but they have different thoughts about what is the best things to do for heir customers. One guy will think that doing a $300 repair job on a twelve year old unit is the best for you, another tech will think it is a waste to spend that much on an old unit and that putting that money towards a new unit would be doing a favor for you. So you have to make up your own mind as to what to do.

Sep 9, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Thanks guys. I will have a tech come out this week. Do you know why my cold air is coming out very humid?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC unit running but not cooling house [ 9 Answers ]

We moved into our house last summer and it had be renovated with a new Goodman CKL24-1L system, (~3 months old at the time of move in). Our home is small, maybe about 1000 sq ft. However, we had some trouble with it last summer, it would often have trouble keeping the temperature low. We would...

Carrier unit popping and triping not cooling [ 2 Answers ]

Our unit is not cooling and triping outside breaker, a carrier tech came out and said " system check good, charge good, amp draw on compressor good 18, so my husband replace the outside fuse and cooled well but know it is still running ,not cooling and tripping breaker, and know there is a pop...

AC not cooling my house [ 6 Answers ]

Can someone help. The AC unit for my residence is not cooling the house. I have the unit set at 70F and the temperature gradually increases during the day to about 80F. It remains at 80F most of the night with the AC running non stop. What is the problem?

House Temperature Not Cooling [ 4 Answers ]

Here's the problem... A/C has been serviced and is said to be in full working conditon... Furnace has been serviced and is said to be in full working condition... A/C worked fine last Summer. Temp inside house was 79F this morning... turned on A/C... after running for a while Temperature in...

AC not cooling house [ 4 Answers ]

My central AC unit has stopped keeping the house cool. I checked the filter and it is clean. The outside part of the system is also functioning. I did notice that there was some water building up on the floor around the bottom of the system. Also, the insulated copper tube appears to be...

View more questions Search