Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bassngage Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Does Anyone Know Family Law in Texas?
    How much time has to pass for a parent to not have contact with his kids for it to be considered abandonment? I have heard that in Arkansas that if a non-custodial parent does not make any contact with his child/children (no birthday cards, phone calls, christmas presents, child support)for one year then parental rights with that parent can be revoked.

The reason I am asking this is because my current husband would like to adopt both of my kids. They are 10 and 13. My ex has had no contact with his kids, but has said through the grapevine (his 21 year old daughter from his first wife) that he would fight me over this. So, he will not voluntarily give up his rights. Seems like it is more of a, "pride thing," that doing the right thing. Both kids want to be adopted from their step dad as well. Do I have a leg to stand on with this issue? Thanks in advance for your help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Ok, you need to make up your mind. Do you want to get your ex for back child support or do you want to let him off the hook by having your husband adopt them?

If you want your husband to adopt you will need an attorney to prepare the adoption papers. The attorney can advise you what you can do. Of course this might be a good ploy to get the info from him to get him to pay up.

Sep 7, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Honestly deep down, what I want is what's best for the kids and that is for my kids to be adopted by a loving caring person who has their best interest at heart. In reality $14,000 is really not a lot of money, but it is the principal of the thing. I wasn't sure if I have a leg to stand on if my ex is going to fight me on this. (my husband wanting to adopt the kids) I wasn't sure if in Texas by him having no contact with the kids for almost 2 years would it be a shoe in for my current husband to be able to adopt the kids?

Bottom line- if he wants to fight me on having the kids be adopted, then he should take responsibility and pay child support and kids health insurance. If he is just trying to "save face" in the eyes of his family, how pathetic is that. He is not acting in their best interest. What kind of parent has no contact with their kids for this long? Pathetic in my eyes and theirs, too.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Terminating parental rights its not easy. That you have their step-father ready to adopt gives you some hope. The fact that their father has effectively abandoned the kids isn't going to help him. You can only try.

Sep 7, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Thanks for your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Texas Bankruptcy Law [ 1 Answers ]

Does bankruptcy wipe out real estate judgement

Texas law info? [ 16 Answers ]

Recently my private property was raided by police here in Texas, I was told that lo jack led them to my property and they seized items outside my home but on my property which we had bought almost a year ago also the vechile I was driving was taken but that's in our name and we have all the proper...

Texas squatters law? [ 5 Answers ]

I heard from a friend, that there is an old law in Texas about getting land by staying there a certain amount of time... but I'm not sure if its true... he told me that if you stay on a pice of land that isn't owned, it will become yours after a period. I'm curious if this is true?

Texas law regarding judgments [ 1 Answers ]

I have read where in the state of Texas, the homestead exemption forbids creditors for seizing your property. However, 41.001 (c) states that a "homestead claimant's proceeds of a sale of a homestead are not subject to seizure for a creditor's claim for six months after the date of sale." It...

Family member eviction in Texas [ 3 Answers ]

How does one go about evicting an adult family member (with dependents)?

View more questions Search