Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 7, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Oh, well we change that stuff so often it here we just call it Eastern time zone, central time zone, etc.

Gets changed twice a year, so we are just talking semantics here.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Yes, eastern time zone and central time zone, not EST and CST which is what you said!

Yes, it's semantics. If you don't say what you mean, how can I tell what you mean?
    Expert

Sep 7, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    yes, eastern time zone and central time zone, not EST and CST which is what you said!

Yes, it's semantics. If you don't say what you mean, how can I tell what you mean?
    Wow, what crawled up your arse and died recently?

Can we say obsession with being right all the time?

Here in the states cappy we refer to our time zones as eastern, central, mountain, pacific, etc. We don't care what time of year it is. It is all the same to us really. Most of us aren't that anal.

Don't worry, I don't expect americans to understand what timezone they're currently observing... -_-

I jest!
    You don't jest cappy, you thrive on being right all the time.

You should really chill out Cappy, you probably wouldn't get as many reddies.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Wow, what crawled up your arse and died recently?

Can we say obsession with being right all the time?
    Of course not. I'm a student, I'm in the business of being wrong. Learning from mistakes is what I do.

Here in the states cappy we refer to our time zones as eastern, central, mountain, pacific, etc. We don't care what time of year it is. It is all the same to us really. Most of us aren't that anal.
    She didn't refer to her timezone as "eastern", she referred to it as EST, the two are different. Sadly, you don't seem to feel that it's important to acknowledge that there's a difference, since it would never be useful for you to interact with any uncivilised society that doesn't observe DST, like Arizona or Mexico, right? I'm amazed to see just how widespread this ignorance is, is it not something that concerns you?

Every credible site on the internet will define EST as UTC-5 and EDT as UTC-4. This is something that you don't need to acknowledge?

I believe that very few british people would fail to note the difference between GMT and BST when asked what timezone they are in. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what I have observed.

You don't jest cappy, you thrive on being right all the time.
    I sincerely hope that you are guilty of the same "crime" of striving to be right all the time, given your potential future profession. My comment was obviously sarcastic stereotyping, but perhaps it neednt have been.
    Expert

Sep 7, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Of course not. I'm a student, I'm in the business of being wrong. Learning from mistakes is what I do.

She didnt refer to her timezone as "eastern", she refered to it as EST, the two are different. Sadly, you don't seem to feel that it's important to acknowledge that there's a difference, since it would never be useful for you to interact with any uncivilised society that doesnt observe DST, like Arizona or Mexico, right? I'm amazed to see just how widespread this ignorance is, is it not something that concerns you?

Every credible site on the internet will define EST as UTC-5 and EDT as UTC-4. This is something that you don't need to acknowledge?

I believe that very few british people would fail to note the difference between GMT and BST when asked what timezone they are in. Maybe i'm wrong, but this is what I have observed.

I sincerely hope that you are guilty of the same "crime" of striving to be right all the time, given your potential future profession. My comment was obviously sarcastic stereotyping, but perhaps it neednt have been.
    Nope, don't need to acknowledge that, unless you are anal retentive. Hell I've never heard of it and I have lived in all of the time zones in the US. EST for those of us here in the us is for the states along the eastern coast line and parts of the north, it is called Eastern. Those of us in the south central area it is the Central time zone, etc.

Now, we have the strange state of Arizona, who chooses not to participate in the ridiculous ritual of changing times twice a year.

You do have a point if you want to be anal about it really, I'll give you that.

And, yes, I am guilty of the crime of trying to be perfect, given my chosen profession I better be LOL. But yes, your comment was sarcastic and stereotyping.

We aren't that anal about our time zones. We just ask if you are Eastern, Central, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000. 2nd time. But 1st time since 18th [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, So basically the story goes like this: In April of 2006, I was arrested for theft under $5000 for car prowling in a neighborhood and some alleyways. I was 17 at the time. We got caught with $1500 worth of golf clubs in the back of my dads car. Needless to say, my dad was pissed....

Dark brown lines going across my screen from time to time [ 10 Answers ]

I have a problem with my computer monitor, I have these brown horizontal lines that go across my screen sometimes (REALLY ANNOYING). I just replaced the video card so its not that, also if I hit the side of the monitor the lines go away:p Just wondering if there's anything I can do that can fix it!...

12.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Smokes fom Time to Time [ 9 Answers ]

This engine apprears to start and run fine. However, from time to time it will smoke like a freight train then clear up and be find. This may occur several times in a two hour period. Any sujections on what may be the cause? Thanks for your Help!

Part Time Versus Full Time [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the line for part time employment versus full time employment in Georgia. I can't find it anywhere!

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

View more questions Search