Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    T-N-T Plumbing Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 10:37 AM
    New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water?
    Hi,

I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine. The heater is heating fine, and the outgoing hot water line coming from the heater is hot and full. Also, the heater is full of water, just no hot water pressure in the house nowhere. I also made sure the rubber pieces at the top of the heater (where you install the new galvanized nipples at on both hot and cold side) were removed before hooking up the water lines. House is plumbed with copper lines.

Please help!
    Scott
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2007, 10:57 AM
    You say you removed the heat trap nipples and connected directly through copper? That would be my first concern. If the heat trap nipples are still connected then remove them and see if that dorsn't help. If you've connected directly and can't get hot water through the faucets then I would suspect that you've disturbed minerals built up on the pipe walls and not they're in the hot water system clogging up the hot water inlet ports in the faucets cartridges. Check and let me know. Good luck, Tom

Sep 7, 2007, 03:34 PM
    No, I was talking about the 3/4 galvanized threaded nipples that make the connection from
    The incoming pipes into the top of the heater. They screw into the top of the heater into the incoming and outgoing ports and where they connect to the copper you have a 3/4 female connector. What I removed before installing the heater was the small rubber pieces that the heater company puts into the holes to prevent trash from getting into the heater during transport, unpacking, etc. I hope this helps clear the situation up.

Thanks again!
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-N-T Plumbing
    No, I was talking about the 3/4 galvinized threaded nipples that make the connection from
    the incoming pipes into the top of the heater. They screw into the top of the heater into the incoming and outgoing ports and where they connect to the copper you have a 3/4 female connector. What I removed before installing the heater was the small rubber pieces that the heater company puts into the holes to prevent trash from getting into the heater during transport, unpacking, etc. I hope this helps clear the situation up.

Thanks again!
    Were the nipples just plain run of the mill galvanized nipples, or were they heat trap or dialectric nipples?

Sep 7, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Yep, just plain galvanized 3/4 nipples.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-N-T Plumbing
    Yep, just plain galvanized 3/4 nipples.
    If the problem is prevalent in the entire hot water system and not simply at a single outlet, I would start at the dip tube on the cold water side of the tank and work backwards from there.

It's a possibility, albeit a remote one, that you misaligned the dip tube when you pulled out the rubber plugs and then crushed the opening of the dip tube when you installed the nipples.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 8, 2007, 10:32 AM
    "If the problem is prevalent in the entire hot water system and not simply at a single outlet, I would start at the dip tube on the cold water side of the tank and work backwards from there. It's a possibility, albeit a remote one, that you misaligned the dip tube when you pulled out the rubber plugs and then crushed the opening of the dip tube when you installed the nipples."

To check this possibility simply open up the boiler drain and see if you have full pressure there. If you have no pressure then Growler nailed it. Good luck, Tom
    ksteitle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 10:12 AM

I had this similar problem after I installed a new water heater (low pressure only on the hot side). I removed the factory installed di-electric nipples and the heat traps below them and used 3/4" brass nipples. This solved the problem of the low water pressure on the hot side. Hope this helps...
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 26, 2009, 10:53 AM

Those factory nipples on hot water side have built-in check valve. Sometimes it gets stuck disallowing water flow.
    daqueball Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 12:34 PM
    I had a similar issue when installing a new water heater. Once everything was connected I did not hear the tank filling when I turned the water on. I opened the hot water in a nearby bathroom... nothing. Then, when I also turned on the cold water, I could hear it filling but slowly. The cut-off valve for the water heater itself also began dripping. I disconnected the hose going into the water heater, and attached a garden hose to the incomming water line... nothing. I decided there was either a blockage in the cut-off valve itself, or in the incoming line somewhere, so I cut the pipe before the valve, replaced the valve, hooked up a garden hose... success! I then reconnected the hose going to the water heater... success again! Not sure why it worked, but it did.
    daqueball Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 12:37 PM
    Forgot to say that once I reconnected the hose to the water heater, we immediately had hot water again.
    Magellan125 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2012, 11:12 AM
    I just installed a new Hot water heater and have hot water pressure at all faucets but the both the shower/tubs. Very little hot pressuer at all!! WHat can be the problem have bleed intire system. Help!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

New hot water tank installed, loss of water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

After the installation of a new hot water tank, we have less pressure which is only noticeable when trying to fill the tub. Any ideas? Thank you.

No hot water - hot water heater and cold working [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! Its freezing out and we have NO hot water! Cold is working fine everywhere - but nothing comes out of the hot side anywhere. The hot water heater appears to be working? Did the hot water pipes freeze? Why the hot side and not the cold? Please help.

No hot water but plenty of cold [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on my hot water on any faucet in my house I get about 2 seconds of water then nothing. I have plenty of cold water and pressure. I've turned the breaker off at the hot water pump and back on. I've shut the hot water valve off numerous times and get the same issue. I've waited 30-45...

View more questions Search