Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babygsdmommy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2005, 06:52 PM
    7 week old GSD won't eat
    We just brought home a 7-week old GSD and he has a wonderful temperament but he hardly eats at all during the day, vomited once (on the first full day that he was home), and has had nothing but diarrhea and urine come out of him. He also sleeps about 90% of the time during the day. We have been trying to feed him the same type of puppy food that he had been eating at the breeder's but he has not been interested in it. He only wants to drink water and has eaten a few bites of cooked chicken or turkey but after a few bites he looses interest. He just had his first set of shots a few days ago when we first got him so could that be the problem? We can feel his ribs and hip bones and we are worried that he is too skinny for a puppy. We are first time puppy-parents by the way ;) Hopefully this is just a phase?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2005, 07:59 PM
    Lethargic, diarrhea? Those are the classic symptoms of parvo. Start calling vets now, any after hour number, regular number,
    Whatever. Parvo is quite possible, and if so, he needs to to go on IV to support him while his body fights off the virus. This may
    Not be the breeder's fault. If you can't raise a vet tonight, put him on Pedalyte? The stuff for babies with diarrhea.

I may be over reacting, but parvo kills many young puppies. Let me know what happens. I can help you with many things you
    Will need if he is OK.
    babygsdmommy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2005, 07:56 PM
    Puppy OK!
    Thank you labman for responding to my posting. I think that our puppy is OK. He has had his vaccinations for parvo-virus and is now eating everything he can get his mouth on! I think that his problem was that he was so young and separated from his mother and brothers and sisters and not used to our house. Today was the first day that he had solid fecal matter and for the past two days he has been in a happier and more energetic mood. We switched to feeding him wet versus dry food and he seems to have taken to it. Thank you for your advice and I hope that this is the last time that I will have to post any problems with my puupy on here! :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2005, 09:12 PM
    I am sorry if I paniced you over nothing, but parvo is a big problem even with puppies on a good shot program. For more, see http://www.animalclinic.com/parvo.htm

Feel free to come back with more questions. Helping new people is a way of paying back some great people that helped me in thepast.

Shepherds tend to keep themselves skinnier than most puppies. As long as he is eating as much as he wants, don't worry as long as the ribs only show a little. That is the way many Shepherds are, which drives the owners nuts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 9 week old Lab puppy [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Of corse I think I have the cuteset puppy in the world and yes I fawn over him ALL the time he is never left alone inless he has to be he gose to the store with us he basicaLy gose every where with us. But all he really wants to do is bite us or tear something up. At this point I have no...

One more week [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so I just had to make a new post... :rolleyes: My Dr appt went really well today. The u/s and weight assessment was about five and a half pounds for each of the babies. I'm at three cm and it really doesn't look like I'm going to be progressing into labor anytime soon... :( Sooooo... I'm going...

Is once a week enough for abs? [ 4 Answers ]

I have heard you can work your abs max 3 times a week. About 5 days ago I did a killer ab workout and my abs are still a little sore. Should I work them if they are sore? Is Once a week enough?

Hi I'm new here and I'm a new own to a 16 week old Dashshound [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Im having some trouble with my new puppy... 1.. is all he does is whine if I don't hold him and cater to him all day at night it's worst he jumps and claws at my bed for my attention whining we have not had a very good night sleep in a week that *Buddy* has come to our home... 2......

View more questions Search