Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reefdiverbob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 06:51 AM
    120 volts between utility supplied neutral and ground?
    I'm troubling shooting the lighting and the entrance to our community and have run into a problem. I thought I was just going to replace some bulbs, maybe a ballast, but things have gotten worst quickly. Turns out that with the main circuit off I still have 120 between the neutral and ground. I start looking around and found the wire from the ground bus arking away like mad where it connects to the grounding spike under the box. I disconnect everything (the 1 circuit in the box). With the main still off, I continue to get 120 between the neutral wire from the utility and the ground? Surely this can't be right? Does this point to a short somewhere on the utility side? I need help as I don't want this to go on now that I'm aware of the issue...
    markb8 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by reefdiverbob
    I'm troubling shooting the lighting and the entrance to our community and have run into a problem. I thought I was just going to replace some bulbs, maybe a ballast, but things have gotten worst quickly. Turns out that with the main circuit off I still have 120 between the neutral and ground. I start looking around and found the the wire from the ground bus arking away like mad where it connects to the grounding spike under the box. I disconnect everything (the 1 circuit in the box). with the main still off, I continue to get 120 between the neutral wire from the utility and the ground? Surely this can't be right? Does this point to a short somewhere on the utility side? I need help as I don't want this to go on now that I'm aware of the issue...
    Sounds like you have an open neutral problem.If everything is off in the building your checking, it's probably on the utility side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

120 volts vs 240 volts tools [ 3 Answers ]

How do I configure a 120 volts 60hz woodworking tools bought in the usa to work on a 240 volts 50hz power rating in my country without having to compromise the motor operation. I understand that the stepdown transformer can only reduce the voltage but not the cycles. That means that a tool with...

Dead outlet that reads 120 volts [ 2 Answers ]

The outlet that supplies my washer recently went dead. I replaced the outlet. Standard two-conductor grounded romex wire. Hot, common, and ground. The new outlet reads 120 volts with a voltage meter but will not power anything, not even a 20 watt lamp. Am I missing something here? Very...

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

Ground and neutral bar [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a 4 wire, 50 AMP GFCI for my hot tub. My question is at my main breaker for the house where I'm taking power from, which bar is neutral and which bar is ground, or does it matter? Thanks Fred

Using Neutral as a Ground ? [ 3 Answers ]

In my new apartment there are some wall outlets that are two prong outlets. Also my fear is that the three prong outlets are not “physically” connected to ground. I heard somewhere that in this kind of system the neutral wire can also be used as a ground. Is this correct? Would a separate...

View more questions Search