Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinpoint Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 01:55 AM
    Convert vista file to xp
    I'm new to computers.I have new laptop on vista.pc on xp.tried to take file to PC via flash drive.wont read it.characters altered.does the file name have to be changed or...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 02:30 AM
    The file must be corrupted somehow because it should not make a difference that you are running XP or Vista. What kind of file is it? Word doc, exe, etc.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 7, 2007, 05:38 AM
    If it's a file from any part of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), and you have office 2007 on the vista computer but not on the XP computer, you need to save it as a different file type. When you go to save as, chenge where it says "Save as type: Word Document" to say "Save as type: Word 97-2003 Document", in word, or the file type you want to use (not sure what it is in excel or powerpoint)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Thewre is no such thing as a Vista file or an XP file for that matter. Vista and XP are your operating systems and don't have a file type. So the key is what software you used to create the file and whether you have the same software on the XP PC.

Sep 9, 2007, 11:50 AM
    Comments on this post
    pinpoint disagrees: save as on vista asks which operating system compatibility is required.that is what I was looking for.

First may I call your attention to these guidelines on using the comments feature.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Second, you apparently are ignoring what I said. There is NO issue of OS compatibility! A flash drive works exactly the same whether its under XP or Vista. I have a flash drive I store the book I'm writing on. I work on the book, using different PCs, some Vista, some XP. I have no problems reading the files on that drive no matter what PC I use.

I don't really understand how, since you claim to be new to computers, how you can judge whether my answers was factually correct or not.
    moyenda Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Sep 10, 2007, 03:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pinpoint
    im new to computers.i have new laptop on vista.pc on xp.tried to take file to pc via flash drive.wont read it.characters altered.does the file name have to be changed or ......
    I gather from your information you're saving a document of some sort, from Vista to XP... if the characters are altered you obviously need a backward compatible software since Vista uses a Four character file extension than a Three character with XP. The download should read COMPATIBILY PACK FOR OFFICE 2007 SYSTEM. This way you'll be able to switch from Vista file to XP and backwards! This is what I'm currently using.

Hope it works!

Sep 10, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by moyenda
    I gather from your information you're saving a document of some sort, from Vista to XP...if the characters are altered you obviously need a backward compatible software since Vista uses a Four character file extension than a Three character with XP. The download should read COMPATIBILY PACK FOR OFFICE 2007 SYSTEM. This way you'll be able to switch from Vista file to XP and backwards! This is what I'm currently using.

Hope it works!
    4 character extensions have been allowed since Win 95. That's nothing new. However, Office 2007 does tend to use extension longer than the standard three characters for its 2007 format files. But this has NOTHING to do with Vista vs XP. The problem would exist if you were trying to open ANY file created in Office 2007 to an earlier Office application even on the same PC.

Again there is NO such thing as a Vista or XP file. File formats are used by applications, NOT by the operating system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

XP to Vista [ 1 Answers ]

Ok This is the situation Old Computer - Windows XP Home OE6 New Computer - Windows Vista - Microsoft Mail I saved all of the .dbx in OE6 (Including Folders.dbx) -I put all of the .dbx's on a CD-R disk -Copied Them To A Folder In Documents On Vista -I Ensure that the files are not read...

To Vista or not to Vista that is a question... [ 9 Answers ]

Does your machine have what it takes to run Windows Vista. Find out HERE with this excellent online tool. (ActiveX is needed for this test) Now personally I will be running Vista on a test box. Hey I've got to at least try and break it, but there is no way it will be on any of my live machines...

Convert text file for CD player [ 5 Answers ]

Can I convert a text file--presumably ASCII--to a format I can burn to and played on an ordinary CD?

WinAVI won't convert entire file anymore [ 1 Answers ]

I have a registered copy of WinAVI 6.3 that I've previously used to convert an AVI file to VOB. Then it stopped working right. It would convert to a certain percent, usually 13%, and then stop. So I reinstalled and tried a different AVI file. Same problem. Has anybody else had this problem? How can...

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

View more questions Search