Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christy061 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Bible from the 1800's
    I have the "New Testiment" bible which is dated 1866. I bought this at a yardsale for a dollar. Does anyone know what it may be worth? Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 07:10 PM
    It's hard to tell without actually seeing the Bible. The following similar items were found on eBay. You might want to check out the sites because there are pictures of the Bibles there. It would seem that those printed in the 1800's that are in a foreign language might bring a higher price. Of course the condition of the Bible, number of copies printed and what a collector would be willing to pay also make huge differences as far as the possible worth in monetary terms.

My suggestion would be to take it to a bookstore that sells antique and collectible books, periodicals and magazines so that an expert can see it "live." This is just a guess, but I would say, that if it's one of those that were printed in the U.S. soft-bound in leather and about four inches wide to six inches in length, then it might be worth $5.00 to $15.00 depending on it's condition and the number of printings of it. If it has a lot of artwork in it, it may be worth considerably more. If it is hard-bound in leather, printed in the U.S. is large and in great condition, it could be worth hundreds or even more.

Antique 1836 for American Bible Society New Testament - (eBay item 140154836699 end time Sep-11-07 18:22:39 PDT)

Antique 1836 for American Bible Society New Testament Starting bid: US $9.99

Antiques: SCARCE German New Testament Bible 1896 - eBay, Other Books, Publications, Books, Publications, Antiques. (end time 29-Sep-07 14:37:24 AEST)

SCARCE German New Testament Bible 1896 AU $49.95

Antiques: SCARCE German New Testament Bible 1896 - eBay, Other Books, Publications, Books, Publications, Antiques. (end time 29-Sep-07 14:37:24 AEST)

ANTIQUE BIBLE NEW TESTAMENT CYRILLIC BOOK 1867 LUX US $3,100.00

ANTIQUE BIBLE NEW TESTAMENT CYRILLIC BOOK 1867 LUX - (eBay item 180151468655 end time Sep-20-07 02:57:46 PDT)
    MrsMac2003 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Sep 13, 2007, 11:23 AM
    I am not an expert on old books but as an amateur genealogist, bibles can be a wonderful source of information. If your bible has any family names etc in it, I am sure you would be able to garner a fairly decent price for it on Ebay... just don't mention that YOU only paid a dollar for it! :-)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2007, 03:00 AM
    It is very true that Bibles can be a wonderful source of information for genealogists. If a Bible has a lot of family history and names jotted down in it, it might be best to try and find relatives of the family to whom the Bible belonged. Sometimes, Bibles can have locks of hairs of deceased relatives sewn into the pages as well as handwriting of family history in them.

Such things as these types of Bibles are priceless because of their sentimental value and value as a family keepsake and heirloom. I think that it would be best to seek out the relatives to whom the Bible should be given to and not to try to use it for some kind of monetary gain by the person who currently possesses it.
    Cbobo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2011, 02:15 PM
    I have a bible printed 1865 leather hard bound I would like to know its value)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Penny from the 1800's [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 1894 penny. Anyone know what it's worth?--Thanks

Silver certificates from 1800's? [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 silver certificates from 1899. 2 silver certificates from 1917. 1 silver certificate from 1891. And 1 two dollar silver certificate from 1899. Most of them are in good condition... very little wear and tear with few creases. Any idea what they might be worth? Much appreciated.

Finding information on an adoption in the late 1800's [ 3 Answers ]

I am researching my family tree and in the process I have learned that my Great Grand Father was adopted. How would I go about finding information on that?

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

Adoption records from 1800's in Chelsea, MA? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I've been researching my family tree since my father died in 1980, but I've hit a major snag when it comes to my great-grandfather, James Parker Dow. James was born in apx. 1850-1851 and died in a drowning accident at a Vassalboro, Maine sawmill in February 1876. (I've found his unmarked...

View more questions Search