Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aloha Bob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2005, 11:12 AM
    Blower Motor bad or what?
    Howdy, My FURNACE/AC blower motor has quit workng. Checked unit... the squirrel cage fan spins smoothy, no bearing noise or roughness, when turned by hand. When I turn A/C on I hear A/C unit come on but fan doesn't blow. Same when turning on heating unit. Same response in 'AUTO' or 'ON' modes.
    I do hear a hum at motor... which goes off after a few seconds. It then tries to come on again in about 60-90 seconds to know avail.
    When I spin the fan and turn it 'ON' the fan stops abruptly... same in either direction.
    With humming noise on I cannot spin the fan manualy in either direction...
    Is this fan, capacitor or relay problem?
    Please advise...
    Aloha, Bob Reynolds
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2005, 12:41 PM
    Before giving up on the motor, check to see if it is getting power. On a modern HVAC set up, there is a control board in the furnace with logic controlling a relay that switches power to the motor, or selected coils. If the motor has several colored wires going to it, check to see if any of them are hot. If not, the problem is in the controls. A good first check is to give any little square boxes on the board a rap with a screwdriver handle. If the blower takes off, the relay is bad. The motor may also have a bad start capacitor, although usually when they go, the motor at least buzzes.
    KimRich Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2013, 04:17 AM
    My Central Air Unit is blowing cool air at a low pressure. My kids did noise coming from the AC unit the night before. Repair says I need a compressor. I think it's the blower motor. Which was replaced about 5yrs ago. My home is 33yrs old but I have a Carrier Tech2000 unit. How do I convince my husband to get a second opinion?
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2013, 06:29 AM
    The compressor is outside the blower is inside, so inless you have problem in both units. If compressor is bad you will get same amount of airflow just not cold. If fan is bad ac outsdide works just on air in the house
    KimRich Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2013, 06:53 AM
    So if I'm understanding you correctly. The compressor will still work but not cold air? Also what can be the cause of the low pressure?
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2013, 07:11 AM
    Low freon pressure, or low air pressure at vents?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2013, 08:45 AM
    Low pressure air flow could be caused by a dirty filter, collapsed or blocked duct, slipping drive belt -if so equipped -bad motor, bad run capacitor and others. Have an HVAC tech look at it.
    HotButStubborn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2014, 10:58 AM
    I have a Carrier blower model FB4 series that has stopped working. I am pretty sure I did all the "dummy" checks as far as ensuring main breaker shut, killing power and rotating squirrel cage by hand(no bearing noises of any sort and spins smoothly), fuse continuity check, and checking tightness of connections. When taking thermostat system switch to OFF and fan switch to ON I hear a faint beeping somewhere by the motor. I don't see any capacitors, so I'm almost positive it is a variable speed motor. Also, I checked voltage at pin connector terminal to motor... it is 240 volts. Is there anything else I could check. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace blower motor [ 10 Answers ]

I have a Climatrol Furnace, and it stopped working. I called a Heating Co, and the technician said that that the motor was bad, it's and old unit with Climatrol no longer in business. I might be able to find a used motor, but I really need a new furnace. After he left I was reaching in and I was...

Blower motor cuts out [ 2 Answers ]

The blower motor on my furnace cuts out when I turn on the AC. I have the unit set to run the fan continuously and when turning on the AC the fan quits. The motor is a direct drive to the squirrel cage. I cleaned the cage and motor and reinstalled. The motor runs but does not seem to be moving...

Blower Motor [ 1 Answers ]

I have read multiple posts about wiring for blower motors and saw one that almost answered my question. I have an old blower motor that I would like to convert to a shop air filter. I know that it is a multi-speed motor. It has 8 wire connections and are labeled as such: Power cap cap ...

Blower motor problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I came home last night to find my ac had stopped working. The ac unit runs fine but the blower motor had stopped. I shut the system down and waited till the next day and tried it again. It worked great for about 3 or 4 minutes and then stopped again. The ac unit works but the blower motor...

Blower Motor question [ 9 Answers ]

I live in an 8-year old townhouse and had a routine (my first) maintenance visit. The supposedly reputable plumbing technician seemed very thorough, but I wanted to be sure I'm not being taken for a ride. He put on a rubber glove, felt the blower motor & when he pulled his hand back, it was full...

View more questions Search